Redo Work in 4 Months, He Said Would Be Too Painful?

I had a number of procedures done by a reputable board cert. phy. 6wks ago. At my appt today my phy. and I are not happy with some of the results. He said he will redo some of the lipo in 4 months at his office. But in another area that needs redo lipo (axillary breast) he said it would be too painful to redo in his office and I would need to go under general at our surgery center. When the time comes, will I be responsible for the surgery center fees? I hope not. What should I expect and plan for?

Redo Work for Liposuction

+1

Surgeons who do revisions will usually waive the surgeon's fee if the surgeon is unhappy with the results.  The anesthesia and OR fees may or may not be waived.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Fees for Revisional Procedures

+1

Each surgeon has his or her own policy and I cannot speak for yours.  My general experience is that when a secondary or revisional procedure is required there are three types of fees that need to be considered:  surgery fee, facility and supplies (Operating Room, breast implants) and anesthesia.  The second two groups tend to be fixed costs that are largely out of the surgeon's control.  Among some of my plastic surgeon friends, surgery fees are waived or reduced greatly but the costs of the second two groups are still incurred by the patient.  This is the case for the plastic surgery consent forms provided by one of the national plastic surgery societies.

My general sense is that surgeons do everything they can to help achieve the results originally intended for the surgical procedure in question.  That, unfortunately, does not mean that any and all costs related to achieving that can necessarily be absorbed by the surgeon, whether fully or partially.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS