I Had An Extended TT 6 Months Ago, Am I a Good Candidate for Lipo to U/l Abdomen?

I had ETT with Muscle repair 6 months ago. I have a flat stomach, but still have a wall of fat, so I am not getting that really flat look that I would like to achieve. I would like lipo of upper/lower abs and some sculpting as I am square looking, is lipo right for me at this point? 

Liposuction after tummy tuck

+2

Liposcution is an excellent technique for the right candidate after a tummy tuck to further improve the contour.  An exam is essential to determine this.

Can I have Lipo performed 6 months after an extended Tummy Tuck?

+2

This is a great question, and the short answer is probably YES.  Most surgeons would like to wait 9-12 months after tummy tuck before performing additional liposuction, but this is not a hard and fast rule. 

I sometimes like to add liposuction to the results of a tummy tuck 6-9 months after healing when I believe that additional improvement could be achieved with abdominal liposculpting.  Some patients still have a residual abdominal fat layer after a tummy tuck and would really benefit from this additional procedure.

Why can't you have this done at the same time as the original surgery?  That is the next logical question, and the answer is: that it can seriously impair the incision from healing well by damaging fragile blood vessels under the skin layer.  For this reason, it is not safe to perform liposuction of the middle abdomen during a tummy tuck.

Hope this helps!

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction after tummy tuck

+2

You will need to have a consultation with your PS to determine if that is appropriate. It is dependent on your lifestyle (i.e. diet, exercise routine, activity level, etc.) and your anatomy.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Had An Extended TT 6 Months Ago, Am I a Good Candidate for Lipo to U/l Abdomen?

+2

Without an examination or at least looking at several good quality photographs it would be impossible to specifically advise you. In general, liposuction can be used very effectively as a finishing touch when the underlying tissues have healed sufficiently to become soft and free of inflammation and have regained a sufficient amount of their blood supply by penetration of the vessels below the incision. This would result in mote accurate liposuction sculpting and predictable healing. Everyone gets here at different speeds after tummy tuck surgery with periods of 6-8 months or so.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Will liposuction help contour after a tummy tuck?

+1

Without at least some photographs, it is speculation as to whether liposuction would be appropriate and helpful for you. Liposuction can be extremely helpful in the right individual for obtaining a more sculpted, contoured appearance.

You should contact your/a plastic surgeon who can then evaluate your situation and provide you with more accurate recommendations.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Sometimes the best contouring results are obtained with both a TT and liposuction.

+1

You can have liposuction of the abdominal wall as early as 6 to 9 months following a TT. Some surgeons may recommend waiting a few months longer depending upon the status and quality of your tissues. If you do have a layer of fatty tissue that remains liposuction can be used to sculpt the area and provide for a flatter contour. You would need an exam first to determine if you are a candidate. Sometimes the lack of a flat abdomen is from fatty tissue within the abdomen rather than fatty tissue under the skin. If this is the case then liposuction is not the treatment choice and will not improve the appearance or contour.

Patty K. Young, MD

Liposuction to Improve An Abdominoplasty

+1

When an extended tummy tuck is performed by your plastic surgeon the amount of liposuction that can be combined might be limited in order to maintain a safe blood supply.  This is particularly true in the upper abdomen.  A second procedure to fine tune the results can be helpful.  On examination your surgeon might be able to tell how much of the fullness is in the fat layer beneath the skin vs intraabdominal fat.  If it is outside of the abdomen you may be able to change its shape.  The idea is worth exploring if you would like more benefit from your abdominoplasty.

Mary Lee Peters, MD