Ethnic Upper Blepharoplasty for Younger Patients?

Hi, I'm a 25-year-old female who wants to get upper eyelid surgery because I have excess skin. I've read on some sites that I am too young so I want to know, based on my pictures, if I would be a good candidate.

I have wanted this surgery since I was 19! All my life my eyes have looked "puffy". However, I have naturally small, almond-shaped eyes, and low brows so I thought maybe a larger upper eyelid would look strange on my face. Any tips/help will be appreciated. (also forgive my unwaxed eyebrows in the photos!)

Asian upper blepharoplasty (double eyelid surgery)

+2

Asian eyelid surgery can be done as early as 14 years of age depending on the maturity of the individual. Therefore, age is not an issue in your situation. You are also correct in that a larger upper eyelid would not fit your face not because your brow is low but you are an Asian. In general, large Western eyelids do not look natural on a Asian face. Asian blepharoplasty is to create natural appearance of double eyelids that some Asians are born with and not to "Westernize".

Your appearance is somewhat reminiscent of someone who had an Asian blepharoplasty already. The crease line is a bit high (raise brow view) for a naturally occuring crease. The skin fold is deep and slightly irregular. But the degree of eyelid show is perfect. It would be a great result if it was after surgery. Therefore, doing a surgery on these eyelids would not improve much upon the already nice appearance.

This degree of puffiness adds to the youthful appearance. The fat should be preserved and respected. With further aging, the fullness is likely to fade and cause tired, aged appearance. Therefore, in this case, removing fat will hasten aging of the eyelids.

In the future, when eyelid fold comes down further and the skin slides toward the eyelashes, the skin may be tightened by appropriate removal as well as fixation of the crease to the eyelid moving mechanism to create crisp creases and bright upper eyelids.

I personally think your eyes look great and you don't need an eyelift

+2

This puffiness that you see is really actually what makes you look younger. I think what you are looking for is a more sculpted look where you have less fat in your eyelids. This can be done for you but I think you should really think about it before doing so. You might need to also increase the height of your double eyelid crease so that more of your pretarsal show is present with your eyes open. I don't really think you have extra skin, I think you have normal puffiness that a young person has. You can always discuss this in more detail with me during a phone consult if you are interested. 

I hope that helps.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty for younger patients

+1

According to the pictures, you have a very strong and prominent frontal bone and moderately level eyebrows. Your eyebrows are not too low. You can certainly have an upper blepharoplasty performed to give more eyelid show. The incision is placed inside the crease and sometimes a small strip of the orbicularis oculi muscle and some fat is removed to deepen the crease and create more eyelid show. This is a traditional blepharoplasty and it would give you a less puffy look.

Asian double eyelid surgery

+1

There are two indications for performing upper eyelid cosmetic surgery. One is to reverse the signs of aging (excess skin, fat bulging) and one is to change the ethnic appearance of the asian eye. What you are proposing will change your asian appearance and “westernize” your eyes or make them more caucasion looking. If this is your goal, then you are not too young and you may seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who is familiar with the “westernization” of an asian eyelid or the so called “double eyelid surgery”. Alternatively, if your goal is to have an eyelid that looks like the third picture, with your eyebrows raised, then you may be a candidate for a brow lift procedure. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

You do not need eye lid surgery based on your pictures

+1

Your pictures on the top shows nice eye shape and natural shap. Your bottom picture shows your eye lid while you are looking down and you have small amount of extra skin .I would not reommend surgery based on these pictures.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery in younger patients

+1

I would respectfully disagree with Dr Rand. For younger persons, eyelid surgery is much more about aesthetics and very little to do with aging. To get to the bottom of what you might need, there is no substitute for a personal consultation with a very exprienced eyelid surgeon who understand anchor fixation and Asian blepharoplasty. Gererally, it is important to conserve upper eyelid fold, tighten the eyelid platform skin, and lift the eyelashes.

Eyelid surgery in young patients

+1

It is important to realize that most eyelid surgery is done for signs of aging. You do not have that. In fact, from your photos, you have a well-defined fold and no visible extra skin.

Remember that you need enough skin in the upper lid to close your eyes properly and removing what you believe to be "extra" may compromise that ability and this could endanger your vision. I'd say "no" to surgery on you myself.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS