Is There A Difference of Technique For Ethnic Rhinoplasty or Not (photo)?

im an african american female planning on getting rhinoplasty in a year/year and a half but i want to know is there a difference between ethnic rhinoplasty and rhinoplasty. oddly enough, it's not really an african american type of big if that makes sense lol. african americans tend to have problems with their nose being wide (michael jackson). my nose is not wide, its more like jewish/roman nose. i would like to obviously get rid of the bump and whatever else is needed for more natural results

Techniques for ethnic rhinoplasty

+1

There are hundreds of techniques that are employed in the procedure of rhinoplasty.  Some of these techniques are more applicable to African American rhinoplasty.  It is important to look for a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience.

Ethnic rhinoplasty

+1

There are different esthetic goals and therefore different surgical maneuvers are in play. Technique per say no, The anatomy is the same, the incisions the same the post op care is the same.

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Ethnic rhinoplasty

+1

Generally speaking the surgical procedures used in ethnic or African American Rhinoplasty are often different. This due to the fact that African American patients tend to have thicker skin and weaker cartilages as well as flared nostrils and wide nasal bones. From the limited views that I have of your pictures, it does appear that you do not have many of the classic features that I just described above. It does appear that your nasal deformities are more common in a semetic type of nose. You should start by seeing an experienced board certified plastic surgeon if rhinoplasty surgery interests you.  

Michael A. Epstein, MD

Is There A Difference of Technique For Ethnic Rhinoplasty or Not

+1

This is a great question.  Aersthetically speaking the goal of any Rhinoplasty, ethnic or not, is and always should be the creation of a naturally more attractive nose...period.  Ethnic noses vary in that they frequently have wider, weaker tip cartilages, lower dorsums and thicker skin.  This means that different techniques may need to be employed, such as cartilage tip grafts to add support, but the goal remains the same.

From the photos, the nose has a dorsal hump that should be reduced and a wide nasal tip that could be thinned during the Rhinoplasty.  Hope this helps.

Ethnic - African American Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

The answer is definately "yes". The approaches and techniques used in ethnic or African American Rhinoplasty are different. This due to the fact that ethnic patients tend to have thicker skin and weaker cartilages as well as some other differences when it comes to desired results. You should seek consultation with someone who has alot of experience with African American Rhinoplasty, because revisions can be costly and difficult. See links below.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

Ethnic rhinoplasty is different because of things such as cartilage size and contour. However, after doing this work for 35 years I feel every rhinoplasty operation is different - I've never done 2 noses exactly the same. You are an excellent example; although you're African American your nose is not typical of many in your ethnic group.