Should I Get an Ethnic Rhinoplasty with a Silicone Implant? (photo)

Hi, I'm eighteen year old female of both Caucasian and Asian race. I would like the bridge of my nose higher so when I take photos I don't look like I have a "flat" nose with a round bulb for nostrils. I'm very unsatisfied with the way my nose looks. I have looked into silicone implants but I'm not sure what is best. After having an implant does it look natural? What are my options? Also I'm curious about the scares that I could possibly have from after the surgery. Would you be able to tell?

Achieving the safest, most predictable and long-lasting results during Asian rhinoplasty

+1
Surgery with silicone implants is quicker, since they are pre-fabricated and easier to place than autologous grafts (tissue from your own body), and the recovery may be a bit easier.  The results may also look good for several years, however they are not a permanent solution.  As long as the implant is in place there will be an associated risk of infection, migration, and extrusion (coming through the skin) which is higher than that of autologous grafts.  
The reason for the lack of permanence is that synthetic implants never become fully incorporated into your body.  Using tissue from your own body will give you the safest, longest lasting results and a beautiful nose.  

Find the best choice of material for your nose, not someone else's.

+1

I would advise you to look into all different materials, not just silicone, used in augmenting nose bridge and their pros and cons. The final decision on which material to use depends on your desired height, skin quality and the surgeon's preference. There is a minimal risk of poor scarring with rhinoplasty.

I do agree with your assessment in that your nose bridge can be higher and tip more refined to further improve the aesthetics of your nose.

Eric I. Choe, MD, FACS

Ethnic Rhinoplasty with Silicone Implant

+1

A silicone implant can be used to increase nasal projection and definition but there is an increased risk of post operative infections and implant movement and extrusion. Over the past 35 years I have preferred to use the patient's own cartilage which will become incorporated into the surrounding normal tissue.

Dorsal augmentation for the nose

+1

I am not a big fan of silicone nasal implants. I prefer autologus tissue like septal or rib cartilage for most cases.

Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

This is a very common request from Asian patients.  My preference is always to get a natural looking nose that fits the rest of your face.  I find that the silicone implants look quite unnatural.  I've also seen many unhappy patients who want revision surgery after having implants placed from another surgeon or in Asia.  I prefer to use cartilage from your own body to build the bridge along with narrowing the tip at the same time. Please consult with a board certified specialist in Asian Rhinoplasty who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Implant options for rhinoplasty

+1

Your photos do show the flat bridge you describe, and raising the bridge is a correct plan. There are options, and a silicone implant is a common one, though natural materials are thought to be a better option by many sugeons. Be sure to discuss both with your surgeon.

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Silicone implants work well for Ethnic rhinoplasty if they customized to your nose and placed correctly. They also look and feel natural but you have to see a surgeon with alot of experience placing custom implants.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Ethnic rhinoplasty

+1

If you are dissatisfied with your nose, you should discuss this with a plastic surgeon who has experience with Asian rhinoplasty.  The goals for my patients in Hawaii are typically a refined appearance that still looks harmonious with their other features.  In your case, a dorsal silicone implant with a tip rhinoplasty and cartilage graft for tip refinement would be a reasonable plan.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon