How Does Ethnic Rhinoplasty Work?

I want to reduce the size of my nose and add feminine more defined tip. I feel that my nose is too big for my face and don't have any shape to it. Any tips for what to talk to the doctor about and a estimate of the cos?

Ethnic Rhinoplasty encompasses many techniques

+3

It is difficult to generalize about ethnic rhinoplasty. In order to give a qualified opinion about your specific nose I would need to see more views, plus a personal exam is very important in all noses, so I can feel the strength, shape and relationships of the cartilages that are under your skin.

All that aside, the general approach to African American rhinoplasty often uses grafts of your own cartilage to strengthen the tip of the nose, which will give it more definition. Sometimes we also augment or raise the bridge of the nose slightly for better definition of the upper part of the nose. Lastly, I sometimes narrow excessively wide nostrils; this should be done so your nose still looks natural. I suggest you seek out a specialist in rhinoplasty for more definitive opinions.

As for what to ask the doctor, tell them what you like and don't like about your nose then let them tell you what they feel you need. Cost varies from city to city. I believe RealSelf has these posted.

Ethnic rhinoplasty

+2

With regards to ethnic rhinoplasty, thick overlying skin does tend to be a limitation to what can be achieved surgically with regards to the shape of the new nose. Cartilage sculpting of the tip and refinement can occur by suturing and cartilage grafting of the nasal tip. Occasionally, cartilage grafts are used to augment the nasal bridge, to give a higher bridge, which gives the appearance of narrower sidewalls to the nose. Frequently, alar-base reductions are also performed with an alarplasty incision at the base of the nostrils.

Ethnic or African American Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi

The best advice I can give you is to look at the surgeons work. If you are happy with it you'll probably be happy with your result. Also make sure the surgeon does computer imaging on your nose so you can see what your nose will look like after the surgery. Lastly, try to talk to a previous patient of the surgeon.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Intro to ethnic rhinoplasty

+2

It is somewhat hard to tell based on your photo, as we would like to see the front view and a three quarter view at the minimum. However, what you wrote in your question, is exactly what you want to tell your surgeon at the consultation. Make sure your surgeon (facial plastic surgeon or general plastic surgeon) does a lot of rhinoplasty surgery in general and ethnic rhinoplasty in particular. Look at surgeon's before and after photos, especially the ones that are similar to your case, and make sure you like the results. Your surgeon should have some of these photos in the portfolio. If there are none, I would suggest you keep looking.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Ethnic rhinoplasty in SoCal

+2

As you can tell from the other answers, ethnic rhinoplasty is a subspecialty of rhinoplasty and requires much experience to get the best results.  As you live in SoCal, I would suggest you visit Dr. Rolin Daniel in Newport Beach as he is a well known rhinoplasty surgeon and dose a lot of ethnic rhinoplasties.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Ethnic Rhinoplasty: What You Need To Know

+2

Thanks for the question. I like to present my answers in video format because they give you more detailed info than I can convey in a written response. See my attached YouTube video on ethnic rhinoplasty. Pricing varies and that is something that you have to check around if you are price shopping, but focus on quality and expertise.

Dr. Sam Lam

Dallas, Texas

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Black Feminine Nose Job

+2

I agree with Dr. Pearlman's statements.

As plastic surgeons we usually scrutinize side views of the nose at rest and smiling, front views of the nose, oblique views (both sides) and a view from below (worm's eye view). We then examine the nose, looking at the surface, feeling its components and looking inside to see what awaits us.

The view you provided is taken from below and is not a true (lateral) side view making any advice we give you totally presumptuous as it is not based on valid data.

From THIS single view your nose does not appear too long for the face and the back (dorsum) is not as depressed as is ccommonly seen with Black or Latin noses. Should you want that narrowed it could be done by placement of a narrow graft or by in fracturing the nasal bones and pushing them more to the midline. The tip can be refined but with thick skin would need placement of cartilage grafts (from your nose septum or ear). If you have any nostril flaring - that too can be addressed at this procedure or later if you wish.

Dr. P. Aldea

What is an Ethnic Rhinoplasty?

+2

In North America, the term Ethnic Rhinoplasty will apply to almost any non Caucasian Rhinoplasty. As you may imagine this encompasses many different races and types of noses that may be very different from each other.

In your particular case it appears that you need to improve the definition of your tip and maybe narrow your nasal base. This can be achieved by minimal cartilage trimming, tip suture techniques and likely a tip graft.

It is difficult to make a proper assesment without seeing all the views of your nose and examining you. I am sure that you can achieve an excellent result if you find an experienced surgeon that you feel comfortable with. Best of luck.

Andres Gantous, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+2

HI Dreaquest,

On the photo that you have provided it appears that your nose has strong underlying skeletal structure for an ethnic nose.

I believe that your rhinoplasty goals can be achieved by refining your tip and making your nose smaller. The questions that you should ask at your consult are how many ethnic patients does the surgeon treat, how confident is the surgeon that your goals can be reached, and have a look at before and after ethnic noses.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

How to have a good consultation for Rhinoplasty

+1

Your concerns are quite typical, albeit of a general nature. Ultimately, you should have several things happen in a consultation. First, you can point out specifice concerns you have with your nose and what you would like to changed, as well as what you don't want to have happen ( over done nose, pinched tip, etc.) If you have a picture of a nose you like most surgeons will accept that as indicating what your aesthetic ideals and goals are. It doesn't mean you can necessarily get that nose but is gives you and surgeon a reference point. The surgeon will discuss incision choices, the possible need for cartilage grafts and whether work needs to be done to help with breathing. Of utmost importance is that the surgeon appears to understand all of your concerns and has a plan to address all issues. He may also make additional recommendations and they should seem reasonable. If you're not satisfied with the consultation, see more surgeons. Spend the time up front rather than looking for surgeons to fix a suboptimal result. A skilled and experienced surgeon will usually be able to set your expectations at a reasonable level and get you very close to the result you want. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO