Ethnic Nose too Short After Rhino, Will The Shape Keep Changing?

I recently had rhinoplasty on a middle eastern nose. My surgeon and I agreed to preserve ethnicity while making some changes. We agreed on reducing the hump, and very minor tip refinment. I was very worried about keeping my ethnicity . The cast came off yesterday and I am extremely dissapointed. The bridge looks too low and flat even though he claims he left part of the hump. My nose looks nothing like the image he showed me. Is it possibly swelling? I cant see how bridge will look higher?

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi,

It all depends how far out you are from surgery. If you are in your first month then its too soon to tell what the results will be.However if you are 3 months post-op or more then you may want seek another opinion.

Dr.S.

One Week Out From Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

Unfortunately, it is quite challenging to assess the nose only one week out from rhinoplasty surgery. It sounds like you and your surgeon had a solid plan to preserve your ethnic features, which should be applauded when it comes to Middle Eastern rhinoplasty surgery. My recommendation to you is do not lose faith in your rhinoplasty surgeon - especially only one week out from your procedure. It is much too early to judge results. If your nose is even moderately swollen along the sides, this is enough to create the illusion that the bridge is flat and low. Be patient. Keep in mind that it will take upwards of a year, if not longer, for your nose to evolve completely. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic rhinoplasty

+1

The hardest thing to do after rhinoplasty is also the most important: wait for the results to evolve.  One week after surgery is a little too early to evaluate the changes.  There is still considerable swelling and other early changes that need time to settle.

The appearance of the nasal bridge will take shape a little earlier, you can usually get a good estimate around three or four months.  The tip of the nose will take between six and twelve months before you can critically evaluate the results.  I would caution against a rush to judgment.  That being said, whenever I have a patient that is concerned with their results, I prefer to meet with them and discuss their feelings.   

Hope this helps.

Christopher Kolstad, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Questions

+1
The technical maneuvers used in rhinoplasty are important. Equally important is the nasal aesthetic evaluation and the sequence of planned maneuvers for a given nose. Well performed maneuvers in the wrong patient stem from a lack of aesthetic judgement and can yield poor results and dissatisfied patients. That said, often ethnic, flat noses with inadequate tip projection and wide alar bases have short columella length. These noses often require structural support, or "addition" rhinoplasty: Often, de-rotation of the tip, columellar struts and septal extension grafts are needed, as well as alar base reduction. These are the work-horse maneuvers of the wide, flat ethnic nose. On the other hand, a nose with a large hump, dropped tip and overprojection often benefits from the more classic "reduction" rhinoplasty: dorsal hump reduction, tip definition with cartilage sculpting, and In-fracturing. Based on this generic discussion, you should be able to put your own case in one of these broad categories. Then see what maneuvers your surgeon did. Best Regards, Dr Del Vecchio rhinoplastyboston

Daniel Del Vecchio, MD