Can my Ethnic Nose Be More "Westernized" Without Looking Funny?

The width of my nose is just about the same as the width of my mouth. I would hope it can be smaller and with a tip without looking unnatural.

Ethnic Nose Correction

+1

The Ethnic nose is one of the most complicated and difficult operative procedures that we perform in rhinoplasty. Every Ethnic group is different. Each require different finesse and different aesthetic endpoint. The key is that the Rhinoplasty Surgeon needs to improve the Ethnic nose without changing them into a different culture as this does look incongruous with their face or ethnicity.

Rhinoplasty to narrow an ethnic nose

+1

It is possible to narrow the nose while looking natural through tip suturing techniques; suturing both tip cartilages together and removing a small amount of tip cartilages.  Osteotomies are performed in the nasal bones to narrow them.  The upper lateral cartilages will follow the nasal bones and will also narrow the midthird of the nose when the bones have been set inwards.  It is important to have a nose that appears very natural so that it does not appear to have had a rhinoplasty.  

Ethnic Nasal Surgery

+1

Any rhinoplasty, whether ethnic or not, should be done so that the nose is proportional to the surrounding facial features. A natural result can be achieved when each operation is individualized to meet that patient's needs. If that is done, you should have a very nice result.

Ethnic nasal surgery can be natural

+1

The main goal of rhinoplasty surgery is to make the nose the least prominent aspect of the face.  With a thick tip and nostril flaring (wide ala), your nose detracts from your beauty.  Certainly, cautious reduction of the tip and ala, your nose can be enhanced to a more Western look and appear natural. 

David Alessi, MD

"Westernizing" an ethnic nose

+1

You're a beautiful girl! In ethnic rhinoplasty cases like yours, my goal is to refine the nose to give you an even more beautiful version of you, not give you a nose that would look great on someone else. I'm not a big fan of the term "westernize", because it makes it sound like the goal is to change the essence of your look.  I agree that your nose could be improved by narrowing the base and enhancing the tip, but only when done in accordance with your overall look. I'm a big fan of natural looking rhinoplasty, rather than a "done" look. There are different techniques used by different surgeons, and I would offer extreme caution when choosing a surgeon to narrow the base of your nose. Done poorly it can give a result that is very obvious and difficult to fix later. The best shot at getting it right is the first one, so do your research before jumping into anything. I recommend consulting with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or ENT surgeon, with experience not only with rhinoplasty, but also with ethnic rhinoplasty similar to yours. It's critical to explain your goals, make sure the surgeon understands your aesthetic, and feels her or she is able to deliver the results you desire. Good luck!

Anita Patel, MD

Westernize nasal tip

+1

You certainly can have some improvement in your tip shape and width. I would not set the goal to "westernize" it but to put it in better balance with the rest of your face. You have a beautiful oval heart shape face with a large round bottom heavy nose drawing attention away from it.  There is a certain amount of nostril width which enhances the beauty of many non western noses and if you totally eliminate it the result is unnatural and unattractive. Get your nose refined to fit your face and heritage, not an altered look.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic rhinoplasty needs to be done right

+1

Hi Pinkisdandy,

I'll tell you that we get questions at our practice regarding ethnic rhinoplasty all the time, and the key is to find a surgeon who has experience not just with rhinoplasty but with the aesthetics involved with different ethnic groups. The reason is simply that the same procedures that work in a caucasian nose are not always suited for an ethnic nose, nor are the parameters for what looks right on you the same as for someone else.

I've attached a blog post that goes over some of the details involved in achieving a more refined look in the attachment below.

Good luck and let us know if we can be of any other help.

Regards,

Peyman Solieman, MD

Peyman Solieman, MD

Natural results in the entice nose.

+1
Yes this can be done IF you choose a surgeon who does natural noses. Not only look at photos but speak with and see the surgeon's live patients. Choose an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Ethnic - African American Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

If you have your tip refined and the alae narrowed, it will look more western and fit the rest of your facial features.Consider computer imaging before the rhinoplasty to see what you would look after the procedure.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS