Ethical Considerations for Board Certified Plastic Surgeons?

After asking a question on this site I did visit a board certified plastic surgeon and after discussing my wishes, he refused because of "ethical considerations".

Why should a surgeon care how I want my breasts to look if its not dangerous or unnatural? How is a 400CC high profile round textured "gummi bear" implant placed subglandular through a transaxillary procedure unethical?

Ethics in Plastic Surgery

A very important part of being a plastic surgeon is knowing when to say no. Plastic surgeons are not technicians fulfilling an order. Just because the surgeon has the technical ability to perform a procedure does not mean it is right for you. What you are requesting doesn't sound like a good idea for a number of reasons. Gummi bear implants are not available in a round shape in the US. They are tear drop shaped and require the creation of a very precise pocket during placement. This is best done with an inframammary incision, which allows excellent access and control of the pocket. The transaxillary approach does not offer the same advantage. Not only that, but the gummi bear implants also need a longer incision for placement, and for a 400 cc implant it would likely be 4 cm long. That is better camoflouged under the breast rather than a long incision in your axilla. Also, the gummi bear implants are not available for general use at this time, and there are specific inclusion and exclusion criteria for trial use. I think your question "Why should a surgeon care how I want my breasts to look if it is not dangerous or unnatural?" says a lot. Your surgeon should absolutely care, and one that does not is not doing you any favors. I cannot say specifically why your surgeon turned you down, but a few good reasons to not operate include: 1) when the patient does not have a good understanding of a procedure or the consequences 2) when the surgeon does not agree with the goals of a patient 3) when the surgeon does not feel he or she can perform a surgery that will make the patient happy. It's possible the surgeon was simply not a good fit for you, and you can always seek out another opinion. Good luck!