Can Labiaplasty and Vaginaplasty be Performed Together and What are the Costs?

I want to remove excess tissue and also repair the vagina. After having a baby vaginally with an episiotomy my vagina just doesnt look the same. What is an estimate for these procedures? What about downtime?

Labiaplasty with vaginoplasty

Labiaplasty and vaginoplasty are often combined. The labiaplasty can be done for discomfort or for cosmetic reasons, The vaginoplasty can vary depending on your needs.  You may need your vagina tightened, since the muscles and vaginal canal could have stretched with childbirth.  You might also have a bulge in the vaginal floor from your rectum or urinary leakage.  The perineum, which is the area between the vaginal opening and the anus, can be repaired after childbirth or episiotomy to give a more cosmetic appearance or to tighten the opening. 

Labiaplasty and vaginoplasty done at the same time

Thank you for the photos. Labiaplasty is done mainly for cosmetic reasons and occassionally for functional reasons. There's a wide variety of shapes and sizes of the labia minora which all fall within the category of normal. It is hard to estimate how much redundant tissue you have from the photos, but this can be trimmed to be more appealling to you . A vaginoplasty is done for functional reasons, i.e. a wide vagina which leads to less or no satisfaction with penile vaginal intercourse. You can do Keigel exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor and improve muscle control of the vaginal canal. Based on a physical examination, your surgeon can decide if you would benefit from a vaginal tightening procedure by suturing the posterior wall muscles and removing some of the stretched out lining. This can lead to better or more satisfying sexual intercourse. The cost for these procedures can run between $6,000-8,000.

Labiaplasty combined with vaginoplasty

Both of these procedures can be done together. I often perform labia minora reduction surgery and may adjust the external appearance of the vagina at the same time.Any functional internal vaginal issues I leave to the gynecologist to assist with or address.   In this geographic area of the country (Texas), these types of procedures usually run from around $5000-6000.

Jennifer L. Walden, MD

Vaginal Rejuvenation

Yes, these procedures are often performed together for patients seeking vaginal rejuvenation options. I suggest consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine if you are a candidate for labiaplasty and vaginoplasty. The costs associated with each procedure are based on several factors which include: the time allotted for the procedures, surgeon and facility fees - surgeon and facility fees will vary depending on your location and the type of facility.

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Can Labiaplasty + Vaginoplasty Be Done Together?

Yes, a labiaplasty and vaginoplasty can be done together. In addition to finding an excellent board-certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist, for your safety your surgery should be done in a nationally certified operating room. A board-certified anesthesiologist can provide anesthesia for your comfort. The combination of procedures runs about $8,000 - $10,000. 

Downtime is about two weeks, with no intercourse for 6 to 8 weeks.

Click on the link below to see a labiaplasty + vaginoplasty case.

All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Combined Labiaplasty, Vaginoplasty, Vaginal Rejuvenation, Mommy Makeover and Other Cosmetic Procedures

I frequently combine labiaplasty with vaginoplasty as well as liposuction, abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), and breast augmentation. Bodywork is usually done first, then vaginoplasty, then labiaplasty. Combining the vaginoplasty with labiaplasty gives a very nice external appearance and also increases the tone of the muscles beneath the labia majora for a very youthful look. Adding a mons pubis lift, either alone or in conjunction with a tummy tuck produces even more skin tightening around the entire region and is a popular request in my practice. Learn more about these procedures by clicking on the link below:

Labiaplasty and vaginoplasty combined...

I, and other skilled and experienced female genital plastic/cosmetic surgeons frequently combine labiaplasty with vaginoplasty surgery (see also Dr. Alter's answer; we agree on these things...)  The combination of both is sometimes called "vaginal rejuvenation."  

The combination of the 2 procedures takes on average 2 1/2 hours.  In my hands, I do these both in my office surgical suite under local anesthesia ~ 90% of the time (Yes!  You can, with newly available equipment and retractors, do this in an office setting.) In my hands, the average TOTAL price (includes surgery, facility, anesthesia-- no added fees) is ~ $7000.00

Downtime is ~ 7-10 days really resting around the house.  Back to a sedentary job or school in 7-1 days; back to most non-heavy, non "running around" activities 2 weeks, back to gentle gym and swim work 3 weeks, back to everything except intercourse 4 wk,  back to penetration ~ 6 weeks or thereabouts.  Just a general idea...

Labiaplasty and vaginoplasty combined

Labiaplasty and vaginoplasty can be combined as in the example below. Review your options carefully and pick a board-certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs both. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty and vaginoplasty

These procedures are often done at the same time and recovery time is usually 6 weeks for sexual activity and 3 to 4 weeks for vigerous activity other than sex.  The usual cost is $6000 to $8000.

Susan Kolb, MD

Combined procedure

yes, these are commonly performed together. Often times the underlying concerns are from child birth. Not always but commonly.