Can Labiaplasty and Vaginaplasty be Performed Together and What are the Costs?

I want to remove excess tissue and also repair the vagina. After having a baby vaginally with an episiotomy my vagina just doesnt look the same. What is an estimate for these procedures? What about downtime?

Labiaplasty and vaginoplasty done at the same time

Thank you for the photos. Labiaplasty is done mainly for cosmetic reasons and occassionally for functional reasons. There's a wide variety of shapes and sizes of the labia minora which all fall within the category of normal. It is hard to estimate how much redundant tissue you have from the photos, but this can be trimmed to be more appealling to you . A vaginoplasty is done for functional reasons, i.e. a wide vagina which leads to less or no satisfaction with penile vaginal intercourse. You can do Keigel exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor and improve muscle control of the vaginal canal. Based on a physical examination, your surgeon can decide if you would benefit from a vaginal tightening procedure by suturing the posterior wall muscles and removing some of the stretched out lining. This can lead to better or more satisfying sexual intercourse. The cost for these procedures can run between $6,000-8,000.

Labiaplasty with vaginoplasty

Labiaplasty and vaginoplasty are often combined. The labiaplasty can be done for discomfort or for cosmetic reasons, The vaginoplasty can vary depending on your needs.  You may need your vagina tightened, since the muscles and vaginal canal could have stretched with childbirth.  You might also have a bulge in the vaginal floor from your rectum or urinary leakage.  The perineum, which is the area between the vaginal opening and the anus, can be repaired after childbirth or episiotomy to give a more cosmetic appearance or to tighten the opening. 

Gary J. Alter, MD

Labiaplasty and Vaginoplasty

Labiaplasty can be performed alone or together with vaginoplasty. The cost of the procedures depends on the surgeons experience, location of the procedure. The average cost in the Atlanta area is $6000 - $8000. Recently many patients are opting for the less invasive options for total vaginal rejuvenation such as ThermiVA. It offers other benefits not possible with vaginoplasty. Make sure to do your homework well.

Stanley Okoro, MD

Done together

Labiaplasty and vaginoplasty are frequently performed together. The costs for both depend on the surgeon, but may be less than having the two procedures performed separately (simply because you'll be saving on surgical facility costs and such, having to pay only once for them rather then twice).

Your recovery will be a little longer and intense than having one procedure performed. You should expect to refrain from intense physical activity and sexual intercourse for at least 6 weeks or so.

Labiaplasty and ThermiVa

I would start with those two procedures and determine if you want to proceed with vaginoplasty if there is not enough tightening not from thermiVa. Gyn's perform vaginoplasty in most cases but you need to find one that also knows how to perform labiaplasty. This is harder than it sounds as most Gyn's perform amputation labiaplasty. It's all about the training. Cost for labiaplasty is around $4000 and vaginoplasty close to the same. Downtime is 4-6 weeks until resuming intercourse. 

Labiaplasty and vaginoplasty

The two procedures can be done at the same time. Labiaplasty is cosmetic with rare exceptions and reshapes the labia minora. Vaginoplasty is an internal gynecologic procedure that is not cosmetic. While many women request "vaginoplasty", most of the time all they require based on their complaint and anatomy is just a more extensive variation of labiaplasty. An exam would be necessary to assess whether or not a true vaginoplasty is right for you. It is also very important to rule out other anatomic problems, as those may require functional treatment by a urologist/urogynecologist.

Orna Fisher, MD

Urogynecology and Cosmetic Surgery

Absolutely, complete vaginal and vulvar rejuvenation may be performed at the same time.  As a Board Certified Urogynecologist and Cosmetic Surgeon I perform this combination at least 50 times per year. If you have bothersome urinary or fecal incontinence, which are common complaints following vaginal deliveries, then these symptoms need to be fully evaluated and addressed at the time of your surgery. You may need vaginal prolapse addressed with vault suspension or incontinence addressed with a sling, or a hysterectomy for abnormal bleeding or uterine proplapse. Following any reconstructive pelvic procedure you will need to allow 6 weeks to fully heal before any sexual activity.  If you undergo a proper vaginoplasty then your recovery will be much more uncomfortable and you should be able to return to work, part-time at 4 weeks and full time at six weeks. Since there is a 6 week recovery period many of my patients also undergo Abdominoplasty, Breast Augmentation, VASER Liposculpture and Brazilian Butt Augmentation during the vaginal rejuvenation procedure or a week apart. This way you have one recovery period as you complete your Real Mommy Makeover, a term I've trademarked. Learn more about combining these procedures by clicking on the links below.

Costs depend on what you choose to do.  Since many procedures are performed at once we do offer a multiple procedure discount as well as financing.  The value of having only one 6 week recovery period is priceless. 

Vaginal Rejuvenation

Yes, these procedures are often performed together for patients seeking vaginal rejuvenation options. I suggest consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine if you are a candidate for labiaplasty and vaginoplasty. The costs associated with each procedure are based on several factors which include: the time allotted for the procedures, surgeon and facility fees - surgeon and facility fees will vary depending on your location and the type of facility.

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Can Labiaplasty + Vaginoplasty Be Done Together?

Yes, a labiaplasty and vaginoplasty can be done together. In addition to finding an excellent board-certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist, for your safety your surgery should be done in a nationally certified operating room. A board-certified anesthesiologist can provide anesthesia for your comfort. The combination of procedures runs about $8,000 - $10,000. 

Downtime is about two weeks, with no intercourse for 6 to 8 weeks.

Click on the link below to see a labiaplasty + vaginoplasty case.

All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Combined Labiaplasty, Vaginoplasty, Vaginal Rejuvenation, Mommy Makeover and Other Cosmetic Procedures

I frequently combine labiaplasty with vaginoplasty as well as liposuction, abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), and breast augmentation. Bodywork is usually done first, then vaginoplasty, then labiaplasty. Combining the vaginoplasty with labiaplasty gives a very nice external appearance and also increases the tone of the muscles beneath the labia majora for a very youthful look. Adding a mons pubis lift, either alone or in conjunction with a tummy tuck produces even more skin tightening around the entire region and is a popular request in my practice. Learn more about these procedures by clicking on the link below: