I Am an Esthetician in Michigan, and Am Being Trained on IPL. Do I Need Certification?

I have been a licensed esthetician in both Ohio and Michigan for over seven years. I am working for a Michigan spa, whose owner has bought an IPL machine, and is training myself and another esthetician. She tell us we don't need certification from the trainer, who works in an dermatologist's office, but I am afraid of losing my license if something goes wrong. Is certification necessary?

Do some homework and find out what the law requires.

+1

Do some homework and find out what the law requires.  Whatever you do be certain that you are very well trained and very well supervised, so that you can do safe treatments.  The greatest risk of a lawsuit in the cosmetic laser arena is improper use of and IPL!

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.