Round or anatomical implants, and do I need a lift? (photo)

I want to have a breast augmentation and I do not know what type of prosthesis (round or anatomical) is better for me or it would be better to place the implant (partial submuscular, subfascial or subglandular) An increase will be good or need a lift?

Round or anatomical implants, and do I need a lift?

+2

I typically use smooth round silicone gel implants and go under the muscle.  What are your goals?  Go see a board certified plastic surgeon to go over your expectations & concerns and bring photos if you can as well.  When you are there ask to feel silicone gel and saline implants and perhaps try them on so you can get an idea of what you would look like with them on your body.  ac

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation with or without lift

+2

I typically recommend round smooth silicone gel implants under the muscle. What size implant do you want and what is your primary goal?....to be bigger or to be more uplifted? If you are concerned about scars from the breast lift you can always "add" that later if you decide you need it. These are things to discuss with your plastic surgeon. Breast augmentation can be done with a lift at the same time or if you are unsure about the lift you can always do the lift as a second procedure if need be. I hope this helps!

James F. Boynton, MD, FACS

Breast Augment

+2

All good questions, I rarely use anatomical implants as I think they are basically the same save for a few specific instances but the complications are higher, I like to go under the muscle for both more coverage and mammography so see a local PS and get a better perspective

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

+2

Most of these questions can better be answered in person by a consulting plastic surgeon.

The round and shaped implants have pros and cons. Excellent results and less than excellent results can be had by each. An examination and review of your goals will be the best way to choose.

Most surgeons in the US use a "partial submuscular" or "dual-plane" approach.

As the lift, again this is best discussed in person. Based upon the one photo I would say it would be a borderline decision, though if you chose really large implant, the need for a lift may be more likely.j

All the best.

Shape and placement of breast implants

+2

Both round and anatomic implants can achieve excellent results. There are both pros and cons with each as there are with placing the implants above or below the muscle. Your individual anatomy may determine which choices, and whether or not a lift is necessary for you, are best. You should seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your goals and listen to what he or she says can be accomplished for you during surgery. You need to be comfortable with your surgeon so feel free to have consultations with several to find one that is right for you. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

BBA

+1
I think you can get great result with almost any implant type.  My preference is a round silicone implant under the muscle (dual plane 1).

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Implant type with or without a lift

+1

Hello and thank you for your question.

The discussion regarding your questions is really better left to an in person consultation. There is a lot to talk about regarding the broad range of questions you have asked. I can say that you would likely need at least a periareolar lift. I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.

Best of luck to you

David Cangello, MD

Round or Anatomical

+1

Thank you for your question. As one of the other Plastic Surgeons stated, both round and anatomical implants have their pros and cons. I would suggest researching and contacting a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area for a consultation to ensure that you achieve the results you are hoping to obtain. I hope this helps and best of luck.

Christine Rodgers, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon