Erbrium Laser on Lower Eyelids

I have a little sag and crepey skin in the lower eyelids and around the eye skin looks a little thin and wrinkly. The dermatologist recommended the Erbium laser resurfacing for this area to see the results that I am concerned about (downtime apprx 10 days. My concern is that I have been told by a few other skin care specialists that the lower eyelid is extremely hard to treat. If my skin is already thin in this area, is is safe to do? Help I hate my eyes..I am treating crows feet with botox.

Erbium laser works best in combination with other treatments for eyelids

+1

The Erbium:YAG laser can be very effective for the rejuvenation of the lower eyelid.  Performed properly, the laser can safely improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.  Because of the high water absorption of the erbium light, some heat is generated and thus tightening of the skin occurs.  There are different kinds of erbium lasers. The non-ablative type has a wavelength of about 1540-1550nm and is done as a series of 3-5 treatments with mild downtime of 2-4 days.  The ablative erbium at 2940nm has a 7 day downtime period, however results are seen with one treatment. 

The other cause of lower eyelid problems is volume loss.  Your physician may discuss the option of adding some filler along the bony rim below the eye to restore lost volume.  This treatment blends the cheek to the eyelid better and can improve the apperance of this area. 

Be sure your physician is experienced in either technique.  When using lasers on the eyelids, the eyes should ideally be protected with intraocular eye shields that fit under the lids and completely shield the eye from light. 

These treatments in combination with the best professional skin care for the eyelids can be very helpful in improving the appearance of the eyelids you describe.

Charleston Dermatologist