If Erbium Yag Didn't Work First Time Around, is It Worth a Second Treatment?

I have a combination of rolling, ice pick and box scars. I had erbium yag 5 weeks ago and the results are disappointing - 30% at best. My doctor has offered to redo the spots that didn't take at no charge. Is it worth doing again? And what are the most effective treatments?

Laser Treatment for Acne Scars

+1

Yes, I advise you to go back for a second treatment with this laser, especially since the doctor is offering it at no charge. If the scars still do not improve, I suggest trying the Fraxel Repair laser (if your skin tone is fair). Fraxel Repair is better for diminishing deep scars because it penetrates further into the tissue than the Erbium Yag. Fraxel Dual is available for patients with darker skin.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser and Acne Scars

+1

There are other treatment options including injectable fillers, electrosurgery, chemical peeling and punch excision with or without grafting that can improve acne scars.  I would ask your doctor if your scars may benefit from any of these treatments. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Scars

+1

Yes, you need more than one treatment.  I will often use more than one type of device (energy) to provide the best results for various depths of scars.  The use of fillers can be done at the end of the series for volume in the deepest scars.

good luck with your treatments

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Erbium YAG and acne scars

+1

More than likely patients need more than one treatment. You  may also need filler or the like to elevate the depression.

Erbium Laser Resurfacing for Acne Scars

+1

Hi Appl.  Yes, when we treat acne scars with erbium laser resurfacing, we are almost always doing more than one treatment so an additional treatment may help.  If available, you may also want to request the fractional option for deeper acne scars.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD