Erbium Laser for Indian or Dark Skin Types?

I Want to Have a Erbium Laser Treatment on the Face and Around the Eye Due to Pigmentation. Is Eribum laser suitable on indian or dark skin types? Another major question i have is whether it could cause keloids on my face because i do have some keloid scarring on my body. None on my face. I hear its very hard or impossible to get keloids around the eye? So should i go ahead with these treatments?

Treatment for pigment around eyes

+1

I would avoid doing erbium laser resurfacing around the eyes on your skin type.  It may cause more pigmentation and worsen the problem.  I you haven't already, consult with a plastic surgeon to make sure the darkness you have isn't from a lower eyelid contour deformity such as a tear trough or excess fat, which can give this appearance.  Also try some of the high concentration hyroquinone creams to lighten the area before moving to a more aggressive treatment.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Erbium laser for dark skin

+1
If your dark skin is related to pigment not blood flow then the erbium, such as Fraxel Restore and other ertbiums may help. All lasers may induce postinflammatoery hyerpignmentation despite the Fraxel even being used for melasma which is facial pigmentation.there is less risk, not zero, of forming keloids on the face. Use lightening creams if recommended by your doctor and sunblock.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Erbium Laser for Indian or Dark Skin Types

+1

As the previous expert posters have stated NOT a good idea to use this laser on your skin type. Best to see in person 3 laser expert doctors. From MIAMI DR. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Erbium laser ofr dark skin

+1

If you have dark skin and are prone to form keloids, I would absolutely avoid an erbium peel.  It may cause hyper/hypopigmentation and may cause keloids.

Erbium laser for darker skin types and keloid tendencies

+1

I would be very cautious with laser resurfacing in a person with a tendency to form keloids. There are no large scale studies on this subject.  And facial skin can definitely form keloids from trauma, such as keloids resulting from acne or piercings.

Superficial ablative laser resurfacing, which just treats the epidermis,can result in hyper or hypopigmentation that is difficult to resolve in darker skin types .

Fractional resurfacing reaches into the dermis where the cells that form scars reside does have at least the theoretical potential to result in keloids.

In a person with no keloid tendencies, fractional erbium resurfacing can be used in any skin type with good results.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon