"Necessary" Equipment For Getting Around After MM?

Hello, I am scheduled for MM (tt, BA, outer thigh lipo 3/21) . I'm worried about getting around afterwards. I will have help, but don't want to be more dependent than necessary! How hard are steps to navigate ? We have 3 steps from den to kitchen..is this going to be doable in the first few days? Also appears people are sleeping in recliners instead of beds? For how long? Do I "need" a lift recliner? How about using a walker?? Just trying to figure out last minute gear! Thanks!

Recovery after Mommy Makeover can be smoother with planning

+3

Hi there-

While I'm not sure any of these are "necessary", many of my patients have said that they benefited from them during their Mommy Makeover or Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) recovery periods:

• A plastic chair that can be placed inside your shower. Being able to sit while someone else washes your hair seems to go a long way toward helping patients feel human again.
  • Loose fitting, inexpensive (so you don't care if they get ruined), and easy to don, comfortable pants. 
  • A recliner that has a "stand-me-up" function. These can be rented for low amounts through medical suppliers. You push a button and the chair takes you from the preferred position to a completely standing position without you needing to use your belly muscles.

Hope that helps- good luck!

Other than a trusted friend or family member, you will need no special equipment after mommy makeover.

+3

Other than a trusted friend or family member, you will need no special equipment.

For patients whose bedroom is upstairs, I recommend sleeping on the first floor in a Lazyboy that can recline into the "beach chair" position.  This seems to be the most comfortable sleeping position after tummy tuck.

Your three steps should be doable if you have a rail to grab onto to help. Take it easy and take it slow.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Equipment after mommy makeover

+3

I don't really think you will need any special equipment. Some of my patients do use their recliners though I think that it might be more difficult to get out of them because of how much you tend to sink into the chair. Steps shouldn't be a problem. Just take it slowly and you should be fine. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

+3

I can tell you are a planner! That's good. I have never had a patient need a walker or any other unusual gear after a Mommy Makeover. And with a little help the first few days you should have no trouble getting in and out of bed or a recliner or navigating a flight of stairs. In our practice we use pain pumps for the breast and abdomen and the patients have good pain control with little need for pain pills.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Mommy Makeover Recovery - helpful suggestions

+2

If you don't have any disabilities before hand, I don't think you will need anything special to get around and steps should not be a problem. In fact I recommend my patients walk every few hours while awake to prevent complications such as clots in leg veins. i do recommend a recliner. Here are some of the recommendations I give my patients after a Mommy Makeover:

A C T I V I T Y
 Quiet. 
 Start walking flexed at the waist (in a stooped position) for a few minutes every 1-2 hours the
evening of surgery and continuing daily except when sleeping. This will minimize your risk for
blood clots. Wear your TED stockings
 In about one week you can gradually stand up straight. 
 Gradually increase activity as tolerated. 
 No sexual activity for 6 weeks after surgery.
 Wiggle your toes and move your ankles in circles in bed every hour.
 No heavy exercise, bending, lifting, baths, swimming, sun exposure, smoking, alcohol or sports
for 6 weeks following surgery after your surgeon has given you clearance to do so.
 Limit napping to one short nap (less than an hour) per day to prevent sleep disturbance at night.
P O S I T I O N
 Sleeping in a recliner chair with your legs elevated is helpful for the first several days. In bed
elevate head and back on 2-3 pillows and keep 2 pillows under your knees.
 A 'reclined' or sitting position relieves tension on the incision.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

"Necessary" Equipment needed for after Mommy Makeover

+2

I don't think any equipment is "necessary" but what I have found to be helpful for my patients is a walker for after surgery (takes some of the stress off of the lower back), a recliner to sleep in (helps keep the patient in a "flexed" position and easier to get in and out of) and comfortable, loose clothing.

The most important part of the recovery process is having a good nurse to take care of you.

Is special equipment required after mommy make-over surgery

+1

Mommy make-over surgery is generally two or more surgical procedures being performed at the same time. Often it involves breast surgery of some type (breast augmentation, lifting or reduction) and perhaps body contouring, such as a tummy tuck and/or liposuction of one or more areas. Your postoperative care may involve items that are placed during surgery, such as a pain pump for the abdominal region, surgical drains and garments. There should not be any additional equipment 'required'. It will be important for you to have a family member or friend stay with you the first night or two to assist you in various ways, particularly to get up to go to the bathroom. After a day or two, less supervision will be required but you will still be recovering. Most likely you will be sleeping either in a recliner or with several pillows on your bed. Bathing or showering may not be possible for a day or two, especially if you have surgical drains in place. All of this is temporary and will only last for several days to a week or so. Be sure to be up and about in your house, stay well hydrated and eat well. Beyond that, no official equipment is necessary.

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon