ENT+fellowship VS. Plastics - Choosing Dr for my Reconstructive Revision Rhinoplasty?

I have a case involving prior blunt force trauma followed by a failed rhinoplasty. i need a revision. i am choosing between 2 drs...one is an ENT with additional training in plastics, the other is a plastic surgeon (3 yrs gen surgery, 4 years plastics) who does body work, but also seems to have extensive (>80% of practice) experience and interest in rhino and revision rhino. ultimately, are both doctors equally qualified in terms of training?i tend to believe there is no 'seperate but equal'...

Choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon

+2

From the descriptions it sounds as though both surgeons have the credentials.  It is important to look at their before and after pictures of similar noses to your own.  Also look at  the total amount of rhinoplasties they have performed in their careers.  Experience matters. Your  rhinoplasty surgeon should have performed many thousands of rhinoplasty surgeries because you have a very difficult nose to do.  In addition make sure you have a Board Certified Anesthesiologist performing your anesthesia, and  the surgery center is certified and licensed.

Both Doctors Have Great Training

+2

Both doctors have the proper training to perform a revision rhinoplasty.  I would look at their before and afters, reviews, and go with the doctor you feel more comfortable with.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Qualifications for revision rhinoplasty

+2

Both surgeons sound qualified.  Your choice should not be the specialty (both of these individuals have the pedigree to perform this surgery well), but rather who you think has the best experience and skill (both technical and communication) to do a good job for you.

Jonathan Sykes, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty surgeon

+2

Both are probably well trained, but it really comes down to who you like better and who has consistently good results.

Choosing the right surgeon

+2

Sounds like both could be good options for you.  Ask to see before/after photos of patients with similar problems as yours.  Read reviews of both surgeons on Realself.

Sam Naficy, MD

Training and Rhinoplasty

+1

I will join the unanimous vote and agree that both Surgeons have the "basic" credentials that you should look for.  However, training and institutions matter very little if your aren't happy as a patient.  Rhinoplasty is the most complicated facial aesthetic procedure for a variety of reasons, and experience in Rhinoplasty should also be a variable to consider.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to Choose the Best Rhinoplasty Surgeon?

+1

Both of the surgeons seem well trained.  You may want to look at institutions of training.  You may want to look at how many rhinoplasties they perform each year.  In addition, pictures may give you an idea.