ENT Question?

I'm an SLP in a long term care center. I have pt with PD and adduction of folds inadequate for defecation and only able to communicate in 2-3 word breath phrases. Pt is so frustrated that he is decreasing communication attempts with caregivers because he just gets too tired. I was told that Radiesse for vocal fold augmentation might be an option. I would like to know if there are any harmful side effects with this product so that my pt can make an informed decision. Thanks.

Injectable focal fold augmentation with Radiesse

There is a long history of use of Radiesse (formerly Radiance) for vocal fold augmentation. Correction is generally predictable and longlasting.

Main risks are undercorrection (with inadequate improvement in voice/airway protection), overcorrection (with possible airway obstruction) and injection hematoma (again, airway obstruction).

Visit an experienced laryngologist to minimize these risks.

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon