ENT Question?

I'm an SLP in a long term care center. I have pt with PD and adduction of folds inadequate for defecation and only able to communicate in 2-3 word breath phrases. Pt is so frustrated that he is decreasing communication attempts with caregivers because he just gets too tired. I was told that Radiesse for vocal fold augmentation might be an option. I would like to know if there are any harmful side effects with this product so that my pt can make an informed decision. Thanks.

Injectable focal fold augmentation with Radiesse

+1

There is a long history of use of Radiesse (formerly Radiance) for vocal fold augmentation. Correction is generally predictable and longlasting.

Main risks are undercorrection (with inadequate improvement in voice/airway protection), overcorrection (with possible airway obstruction) and injection hematoma (again, airway obstruction).

Visit an experienced laryngologist to minimize these risks.

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon