ENT Doctor or Plastic Surgeon to Repair Broken Nose?

My daughter broke her nose today playing softball. She had nose surgery when she was 16 and now she is 40. She could use some modification on her previous surgery as well as fixing the several degree nose that is off course now. Is she better to see an Eye Nose and Throat Doctor or a plastic surgern? Can he fix others problems while repairing the broken nose and still be covered under insurance? She did have CT scan and have to go to the emergency room.

ENT Doctor or Plastic Surgeon to fix broken nose

+1

Facial plastic surgeons, general plastic surgeons, ear, nose and throat doctors are all trained and should be capable of performing rhinoplasty surgery. The question is not the specialty but the individual surgeon. It would serve you well to find a surgeon who is very experienced in performing rhinoplasty and maintains a reputation for achieving consistently good results.

You have to discuss financial matters and insurance with the surgeons with whom you consult. Cost and coverage are very important, but obtaining good results is even more important.

Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

ENT or plastic surgeon for repairing nose

+1

Any board certified ENT or plastic surgeon with an interest in rhinoplasty surgery will be a good choice. But you have to do your research and make sure the surgeon can show you before and after photos.

Insurance will only cover the portion of the surgery which is medically necessary. Making the nose more refined is considered cosmetic and will not be covered.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

ENT or plastic surgeon

+1

This is the type of advice that would require photos and or a full examination. With a complicated issue such as this one, and since it is a revision, it may be best to seek out a revision rhinoplasty specialist and/or a facial plastic surgeon. In particular, facial plastic surgeons are a great option since they have the functional aspect covered from ent training and the aesthetic vision due to training in facial plastic surgery.

I am a facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon, and revision rhinoplasty specialist located in Beverly Hills, California. Please feel free to take a look at my website, and contact me if you have any further questions. My information is listed in my profile. Thank you and best of luck to you.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhinoplasty doctor

+1

An ENT or plastic surgeon that performs rhinoplasty commonly is a good choice. Either one that is qualified should be able to correct the problems. AS for the insurance question it varies.

ENT or Plastic Surgeon to fix Broken nose

+1

Don't pick the specialty, pick the doctor. Find a board certified physician experienced in cosmetic and functional rhinoplasty surgery. Your surgeon's office can help you clarify insurance coverage pre-operatively.

Who is better in treating a nose fracture, an ENT doctor or a Plastic surgeon?

+1

I would recommend a n experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for this problem. Rhinoplasty surgeons can have training as a facial plastic surgeon or a general plastic surgeon. Facial plastic surgeons are ENT doctors who have additional training to treat cosmetic and reconstructive problems encountered in the face. General plastic surgeons spend at least two years training as general surgeons and another three or more years to become plastic surgeons.

In general, facial plastic surgeons have more in depth training about internal nasal anatomy and function. However, there are many general plastic surgeons with extensive experience in nasal anatomy. You should be asking questions about the surgeons experience when searching for the right doctor.

Maurice M. Khosh, MD

Repairing a broken nose

+1

Having had a previous rhinoplasty introduces an additional degree of difficulty in repairing your daughter's nose. I would recommend either a facial plastic surgeon who has background in ENT surgery or a plastic surgeon who does a lot of rhinoplasties. Also, I would see someone who has done a fair number of revision surgeries due to the added intricacies involved in repairing a nose that has been previiously operated on. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Qualifies Rhinoplasty Surgeon

+1

I would focus on a Facial Plastic Surgeon (Otolaryngology background) or Plastic Surgeon who is experienced in Rhinoplasty surgery. Both specialties are trained to perform this type of surgery, but only some individuals within each specialty take a special interest in it and/or obtain consistently good results.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acute Treatment of a Broken, Prevously Operated Nose

+1

As a Plastic surgeon with several good friends who are ENT (Facial) Plastic surgeon, I feel strongly that a well-trained nose surgeon REGARDLESS of their formal training is what she needs to see. If she is happy with her previous nose surgeon, she should see him/her.

Nasal fractures need to be evaluated immediately to prevent pressure by blood on the lining of the septum (Septal Hematoma). If such a blood collection is present, it needs to be evacuated as soon as possible. Putting the nasal bones back (IE CLOSED REDUCTION) where they need to be should be done well within a few days from the injury before the bones heal in their new location.

Finally, I would NOT recommend piggy-backing a cosmetic operation on top of this repair for several reasons: The nose is swollen and any changes made to it now would be hard to asses resulting in a poor outcome. It is best to delay such procedures to when the swelling is at a minimum.

Lastly, it is dishonest and fraudulent to "stick" the insurance company (regardless of how you feel about them) with a bill for cosmetic services they do not normally would cover and would have otherwise deny. If your surgeon decides to go this route, you may wish to ask yourself some serious questions about his/her integrity.