Best Way to Ensure I Get the Result I Desire?

I have liposuction of flanks scheduled for Jan 6th 2012. I have some trepidation...have seen many before and afters on this site with similar body types to mine (boxy, angular thru flanks). Some of the pics are great, results I would be pleased with for myself; then others seem to have very little change at all. My question-what is the best approach to take with my surgeon to ensure I obtain my desired result? I do not want to come across as pushy or difficult, but I do not want to waste $4k.

Best way to get the results you desire.

+2

Thank you for your question.  It is very normal for patients to experience some trepidation just before surgery.  I have found that the best way to treat this is with knowledge.  Knowledge of your surgeon and his or her skills as evidenced by photographs; knowledge of what the operation will involve; and knowledge of what  will and will not be accomplished.  This is best achieved by having discussions with your plastic surgeon.  Make sure that you have all your questions answered to your satisfaction and be sure to communicate to your surgeon what your goals and expectations are. I can assure you that you will not come across as "pushy or difficult"  If your surgeon makes you feel this way find another surgeon.  Having done this you will feel much more relaxed and confident about your upcoming operation. Best of luck. 

Candidate for liposuction

+1

The key to a good result with liposuction is be at an average weight, have isolated pockets of fat that are diet and resistant and have good elasticity.  If these criteria are met you will get a nice result.  There are basically two candidates for liposuction good and not good. 

Flank liposuction and expectation for final result

+1

Thank you for your question. I understand your hesitation and fear.

Looking at pictures of other people can be misleading because people come in different heights, weights, and widths. If you get liposuction of the flanks, then you will still look like you with the fatty tissue removed in the flanks. It is important for the plastic surgeon to contour and shape the area so it blends in with the rest of your body but it will not correct any other problems you have in other areas.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Ensure Good Results with Liposuction

+1

You need to have a frank and honest discussion with your surgeon about what you are expecting from the procedure. A skilled plastic surgeon will be able to give you a good idea of what to expect afterwards. He or she should be able to let you know what the procedure can do and maybe more importantly what it can not do. You as the patient need to be engaged and get all your questions answered BEFORE the procedure. Remember no two patients will have the same results with the same procedure. Some patients will inherently  have better results after liposuction due to their skin elasticity and there skeletal structure. Most importantly do your homework and have your procedure done by a board certified plastic surgeon.

Mark A. Jabor, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - Best Way to Ensure I Get the Result I Desire?

+1

A fair question - but there's no simple answer.  Most of what I would advise you to do has presumably already been done, since you have the surgery scheduled for a few weeks from now.  The process starts with doing research, both online and via any reading material you can find.  And then you do research on surgeons near you, or to whom you're willing to travel.  And then you have a series of consultations, which is when you explain what you want and then you listen to what the surgeon has to say and to recommend.  Based on all of that, you decide whether or not to proceed with the surgery and, if so, with whom.  If at this point you're still not comfortable, then I think you should have another consultation with your PS.  If you cannot achieve the level of comfort you're looking for, then perhaps you should defer this surgery or even see a few more PS before making a final decision.  It is also possible that you may not be able to achieve what you want, but that's part of the consultation process.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,
Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Liposuction outcomes

+1

Hi there-

It's always nice to hear from a fellow El Pasoan (Go Troopers!)!

Without examining you, it is very difficult, and may be irresponsible for me to advise you what type of results you should expect...

On the other hand, I would say in general that your best bet to put your mind at ease is to return to your surgeon's office for another discussion. Remember, this is an important relationship- treat it as such.

Openly, honestly, and respectfully explain what you are hoping to achieve, and then LISTEN to what he tells you about the outcome he thinks is possible for you.

Good luck!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Realistic expectations

+1

Your concerns are appropriate.  Liposuction, as you know, is a very effective and safe technique for removal of unwanted fat deposits,  but you must have appropriate expectations of your outcome. Equally as important is picking the proper procedure.  If you have excess skin and stretchmarks around your waist line, liposuction may not be the best choice. Revisit with your plastic surgeon if you are unclear whether or not your surgeon understands your endpoint goals.  Review pre and post op photos with your surgeon, I find this method most effective for predicting a happy outcome. Best of luck. Dr. Renucci

John Renucci, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Getting Liposuction Results Desired?

+1

I think what you're concerned comes down to is:  are your goals achievable? The only way to know this is to communicate your goals with your plastic surgeon ( verbally and with the help of goal pictures).  Assuming you have picked an honest surgeon,  he/she will be able to let you know if your goals are realistic or not. If so, it will be good for your peace of mind to see many examples of his/her work in photographs or  (better yet)  in person.

Anxiety regarding obtaining the liposuction results desired

+1

With any procedure no matter the doctor, training, certification or reputation, there is never any guarantee. However, you can increase your odds for a better result. Two good ways are to make sure that your doctor is reputable and is a board certified plastic surgeon. Another is your communication with him/her as to exactly what you are looking for. Make sure that you both are on the same page.

You also want to make sure that they are experienced in liposuction. Seeing photos of some results may be helpful for you.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Results for liposuction

+1

There is no guarantee with any surgeon regarding the specific results. Although you should go with a surgeon that gets consistently good results.