How Can I Ensure That my Surgeon Will Do a Good Job?

I'm an 18 year old male considering a facelift. The chubbiness to my cheeks, which had once inspired many coos and cheek-pinchings, is now sagging, pulling down my face. I started reviewing facelifts on your site and frequently found surgeons giving answers like, "Scarring shouldn't be a problem with a good lift." No, it shouldn't, but it very well could. What constitutes a "good" facelift anyway? I can always go to famed med centers or surgeon's offices, but how else can I ensure a good lift?

18 year old and Facelift

+1

If you had massive weight loss, there may be some benefit to a facelift.  However, most patients at 40 do not need a facelift.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facelifts each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Researching Surgeons for Facelift

+1

First, I need to tell you that 18 year olds are not typically appropriate candidates for facelifts and other type procedures.  However, when researching surgeons, I strongly suggest you seek out a surgeon who performs these procedures several times weekly  -  more than 1 a month, has lots of before and after photos that show close ups of the incisions, and ultimately one who inspires confidence.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift For 18 Year Old

+1

Many younger patients mistakenly believe that a facelift is the answer for their aesthetic issues.  In some cases, augmentation to the skeleton can helpful, either with implants or facial fillers.  In other cases, subtraction to an area that is fuller than ideal can help with contouring.  

For patients with more prominent cheeks than ideal, consider weight loss programs first, exercise, diet, etc.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

How can you ensure that your surgeon will do a good job?

+1

First off, my colleagues have all stated that 18 years old is too young to consider a facelift and I agree. Second, there are no guarantees in cosmetic surgery. You can significantly improve your odds of a great result by seeking a board certified facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon, meeting that surgeon and reviewing their post-operative photos. If they are experienced and you approve of their bedside manner then you are likely in very good hands. I hope this is helpful. There are alot of options other than facelifting for an 18 year old man concerned about their appearance.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Desire to look better..

+1

Respecting your desire to look better, I would say that you are much to young to be considering a facelift. Your face will continue to mature over the next several years and if you are engaged in physical fitness, the "chubbiness" will most likely improve without any surgery.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

No facelift for 18 year olds!

+1

Hi.

There may be some cosmetic surgery procedures that will make you happier with your appearance, but forget about a facelift.  See two or three plastic surgeons.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

How Can I Ensure That my Surgeon Will Do a Good Job

+1

There are three separate questions within your description and questions.

The first is what constitutes a good facelift? This is a very subjective question and will be evaluated differently among different people. A good facelift needs to be natural looking and, and fit within the patient's objectives, lifestyle, and lifestage.

The second is how do you find a good surgeon? To identify qualified board certified plastic surgeons, check the ASPS and ASAPS websites. Consult with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons. Choose the one that best understands your objectives, and has the technical skills and artistic talent to achieve your goals.

The third question is are you a candidate? At 18, you are unlikely to be a candidate for a facelift. To explore your options, consult with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons.  

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Facelift for chubbiness

+1

A traditional facelifting procedure would not be indicated in any person who does not have a condition that causes premature aging, which is very rare.  In some circumstances, excessive cheek fat can be carefully removed (ie buccal fat pads), or fat grafting can be done, but this should be done cautiously if at all in someone 18 years of age.  I would recommend consultation with a plastic surgeon in your area to determine if anything can be safely done to help you.

Michel C. Samson, MD
Daytona Beach Plastic Surgeon

Facelift for chubby cheeks

+1

Thank you for the question.  I agree with many of my colleagues that 18 is too young for a facelift.  Depending on the findings on physical exam, facial microliposuction and/or buccal fat pad excision could be considered in a patient in your age group as a means of reducting cheek fullness.  Get several opinions from qualified facial plastic and plastic surgeons. 

Andrew B. Denton, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

18 year old facelift???

+1

How can I put this gently?  Please don't be upset, I cannot imagine any ethical surgeon doing a facelift on an 18 year old.  Your face will change and probably thin out as you age.  Late 30's or early 40's is a more reasonable time to think about a facelift.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon