Can Anything Be Done to Ensure my Scar Does Not Show Below my Bathing Suit After Removal? (photo)

I am a year and a half post -op (250cc/right, 260cc left) and unhappy with the positioning of my implants (the right is too close to the center while the left is more to the side, and they seem to be sitting too low, making my nipples appear too high). There doesn't seem to be a way to correct it, so I am having them removed. Given that my crease is lower than what it used to be pre-operatively, is there anything that can be done to ensure my scar does not show below my bathing suit/bra line?

Results after removing implants

+1

In general, if the implants were sized and positioned properly and your weight is the same, I would expect your breasts to return to they way they were with the implants removed. The residual is the scar and this would depend on where the incision/scar was made in relation to your original inframammary crease. 

Unfortunately, the implants that were placed were too big for your breasts and they not only stretched and distorted your breasts but ended up in the wrong place. This is hard to correct and is a reason (as asked by others recently) to not start with the implant volume and work backwards or think that any size or shape breast can be achieved with an implant. 

I agree that there are some options to consider to correct this short of complete removal and I also agree with Dr. Becker that the crease level can be adjusted if the implants are taken out. 

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Removal Due to Asymmetry

+1

You can certainly have the breast implants removed, but I think that the appearance of your breasts can be altered to make you appear better and make you feel more comfortable.  If you are happy with the size that the implants have given you, then I would find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations each year. 

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com

Concerns about Scar after Removal of Breast Implants?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Are you sure that you have explored all the possibilities ( including revisionary breast surgery using capsulorraphy/ capsulotomy techniques) before deciding to have your breast implants removed?

If so, and you do decide to have your breast implants removed, I would suggest that you communicate your concerns regarding the scar with your plastic surgeon. It may be possible during the explantation procedure to use internal sutures to help tack the area of concern down. Of course, the more complicated the procedure becomes the  greater the potential risk/complications.

Best wishes;  hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the planned procedure.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/breast-implant-removal.htm

Can Anything Be Done to Ensure my Scar Does Not Show Below my Bathing Suit

+1

Much depends on the findings on exam and at surgery. If the scar is in your original fold, your surgeon may be able to reinforce the fold with sutures at the original site during surgery. The unpredictable issue will be how much shrinkage of breast tissue you will have after these are removed. 

All the best. 

+1

It may be possible to fixate the tissues beneath the scar to the chest wall

The scar will then be elevated and tucked into the fold

This can only be confirmed on exam

Web reference: http://www.beckermd.com/breast/revision-boca-raton-fl/

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Scars

+1

There is not much you can do to determine the final location of your breast scars.   The skin and tissue of your breasts have been stretched and, once the implants are removed, will have to settle.  The skin will retract some, but some looseness may remain.  I think the best thing you can do is to do some good scar therapy while you are healing to minimize its appearance.  Please discuss this with your surgeon.  Thanks for the question.

Scar after implant removal

+1

Unfortunately if you are going to have your implants removed, you may have a scar under the original fold and it may peak out through your bikini top.