Enophthalmos from Loss of Orbital Fat, Can Smoking Make It Worse?

I am currently suffering from enophthalmos, from what appears to be loss of orbital fat. Does smoking, either tobacco or marijuana, make this worse?

Yes

+1

Smoking makes everything worse.  Actually, it probably won't change your condition.

It is something very difficult to improve.  Smoking is a terrible thing to do to yourself.

Stop Smoking.

Enophthalmos

+1

Morning Carrie810,

Yes, this can be the case but if there wasn't some injury or event that proceeded this we need to ask some important questions:

1.  How old are you and is this on one side only?

2.  Have you been evaluated for any medical conditions that would lend itself to fat loss?  Autoimmune disease, HIV, etc.

3.  I don't want to alarm you but is there a history of breast cancer in your family?  There are a few cancer processes that can (oddly enough) manifest in the eyes.

Most likely this is related to lifestyle and some genetics but if this is on one side you need a very good work up with an ophthalmologist or oculoplastics surgeon.  If this is just some sunkeness on both sides then it is probably smoking and habit related.

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon