I has a horrible infection and was left with 38 scars across my abdomen. Could they be excised? Procedure type? (photo)

I'm desperately in need of help in trying to get rid of these scars and pooch! I had a horrible infection and am left with 38 scars. I've posted my whole story here:  Looking to get these scars (or at least some of them) excised somehow. Is there a way just the scars in the circle (as in the first picture) could be excised in an umbilicalplasty? Could some skin be cut out and another scar be formed that I could then get lasered?

Get rid of your belly scars and hide them

+1
Caroline: Your particular case is perfect for a tummy tuck.

The tummy tuck gets rid of both the pooch of skin you are grabbing in the picture and flattens your stomach.

Some of my patients hide the scar by getting a tattoo along the resulting scar that should be just below the bikini line.

Check out the web link below for a description of the tummy tuck scars.

I has a horrible infection and was left with 38 scars across my abdomen. Could they be excised? Procedure type

+1
You picture a few issues: scars, hanging abdominal skin & fat, umbilical hernia?. I recommend select one or 2 scars for revision under local anesthesia to see if you are satisfied with the result. If Yes, than first lose 20 pounds and consider umbilicalplasty for hernia as 1st operation. Than as a second operation liposuction or TT. 

Improving abdominal shape and removing scars with an abdominoplasty

+1
The best solution for your problem would be an abdominoplasty.  This would tighten your anterior abdominal wall, remove the excess skin and scars that are below your umbilicus.  The trade off would be a low transverse scar as well as a scar around your umbilicus.  Seek out a consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon and your options can be reviewed.  

Abdominal scars

+1
You look like a great candidate for a tummy tuck based on the photos. Of course it is impossible to be sure without a physical exam though.  The tummy tuck removes all of the tissue that you circled in the last photo and would also address the pooch and extra skin that you are pinching in the first photo.  See a plastic surgeon to get more details and to see if you are in fact a good candidate for a tummy tuck. Best of luck. 

Luis H. Macias, MD

Treatment of abdominal scarring

+1
Laser will not help.  You could have the area excised with a plastic surgical closure and this could be performed in stages under local anesthesia in the office.  But, truthfully, you would benefit tremendously from an abdominoplasty.  See a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

I had a horrible infection and was left with 38 scars across my abdomen. Could they be excised? Procedure type?

+1
I think that a tummy tuck would be the most reasonable option.  A tummy tuck would remove loose skin and would tighten the muscles.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and body contouring procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Removing your abdomen scars

+1
I am sorry that you had a bad experience in the past that has left you with all those scars. I do not think that lasers will offer much improvement. One thing you may consider is having a tummy tuck - this will remove all the skin below the belly button that contains those scars. In exchange, you will get a horizontal scar that is below your underwear/bathing suit and well hidden. You should also get a flatter, tighter abdomen. This may be a great option if you are willing to undergo it. make sure to choose a plastic surgeon who specializes in body procedures.  

Matthew Schulman, MD