Visible Graft Showing Through Thin Skin? (photo)

What started as wanting to straighten my crooked nose for functional and cosmetic reasons has led me to be even more unhappy. I would trade back to my crooked nose in a heartbeat. I am left with a host of problems. I have had two operations with a revision two years ago. The grafts are very uncomfortable and pushing on my skin, they show through and my nasal skin is very red. No fascia was used. My question is how difficult is it to remove the grafts and what method can be used to give smoother contours.

Revision Rhinoplasty for visible graft edges

+2

First, see a surgeon who is experienced in this type of surgery - in fact, see more than one. However, even in the best of hands, results cannot be guaranteed - but there is a higher likelihood of success. The existing grafts can be modified, reshaped an replaced and other tissues may be used to soften the results, such as fascia. For the depression along the left side of the bridge a non-surgical option would be the placement of a small amount of dermal filler, such as Juvederm of Radiesse. Although temporary, it is a minimally invasive and relatively predictable treatment. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Graft visibility

+2

The grafts can be removed or shaved down and camouflaged with fascia or alloderm.  Best to be seen in person.

Visible Cartilage Grafts Under Nasal Skin

+2

The grafts can be removed and replaced with fascia or the thickness can be reduced, eliminating the sharp edges which you can see. Consult with a surgeon who specializes in revision rhinoplasty. 

Revision rhinoplasty to improve contour of visible grafts

+2

Through an endonasal approach ("closed" where all the incisions are inside your nose) it is possible to remove the offending graft.  As you touched on in your question, fascia works wonderfully as a camouflage graft to smooth contour irregularities in areas of thinned skin.  An alternative is cadaveric dermis, such as Alloderm or hMatrix which also provide a soft, pliable layer of camouflage which becomes fully integrated into your nose.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Visible Graft Showing Through Thin Skin?

+1

The grafts can be pulverized, thinned, camouflaged, or removed.  My usual sequence is to remove them first and determine the status of the underlying cartilage and bone.   From there, this can usually be altered to avoid the use of grafts.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA