Can vicryl and PDS sutures still be in my nose after 6 months?

I thought my stitches were dissolvable but have read up on the absorption time on vicryl and pds and I am surprised as they do not fully dissolve for a long time. Once they have dissolve will associated redness cease? Also can vicryl stitch still cause infection and or inflammation 6 months after op. I have these stitches used in my nose. Thanks

Can Vicryl and PDS sutures still be in my nose after 6 months?

+1
This is a very good question, however it is very unlikely that a Vicryl stitch would stay in your nose after so long. PDS sutures take approximately twice as long to absorb as Vicryl and it is possible that a PDS suture could remain in your nose at this stage although it is unlikely.

The time a stitch depends on which area it is placed in and also the width of the stitch. A stitch in an area with high blood supply and movement will dissolve quicker than a stitch in a relatively immobile area and a thinner stitch will dissolve quicker than a thicker.
However, certainly by 6 months to a year all Vicryl and PDS stitches should have dissolved.
Adrian Richards

London Plastic Surgeon

Resorbable Sutures in Rhinoplasty

+1
PDS sutures are commonly used to reshape the alar cartilages and to suture cartilage grafts in place. Some sutures may use Vicryl also. They are not usually used to close the intranasal mucosal or columellar skin incisions. They will persist for a long time (6 months to a year or longer) but will eventually be absorbed. Usually they do not cause any external skin redness or irritation.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Sutures and absorption

+1
PDS sutures while lose tensile strength after a few months may still linger for quite some time.  Be patient and they will go away .

Dissolving stitches

+1
Both Vicryl and PDS are commonly used dissolving stitches, and both are reliable.  PDS in particular will take at least 6 months to start to dissolve.  I have seen it last up to 14 months.  PDS keeps cartilage in position as it heals in.  Neither stitch causes much in the way of problems, and they do not normally cause infection or redness.  The body's reaction to the stitches as it dissolves them does cause some minor swelling.

Douglas J. Kibblewhite, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon