Unsightly scar after open revision rhinoplasty (Photo)

10 days has passed since I had a revision septorhinplasty. I had my stitches removed tonight. My surgeon said that he had hoped the scar on my right nostril would have been better. The scar is deep and there is a step where the skin meets. I understand that this is very early on in the healing process, but will the depth of the scar change as time goes on? will there be any swelling around the septum at this stage still perhaps exaggerating the incision scar? Feedback appreciated, thanks.

Scar maturation after rhinoplasty

+1
It is common for a scar to be more apparent after surgery and then to improve over time. Keep in mind that it takes about 12-18 months for scar tissue to mature. Over this time you will notice an improvement in the color, softening of the scar tissue, a change in the depth or thickness, and an overall improvement in the appearance. At 10 days following revision, it is far too early to tell. One of the things that you can do to improve the appearance of the scar is applying silicone scar therapy-you should discuss this with your surgeon.

Scars from open rhinoplasty usually improve over time.

+1
Thanks for your question and I can see from your photos that you do have a noticeable incisional scar from your rhinoplasty. This is pretty common after surgery. We see these incision step offs more commonly in men and in revision cases. The good news is that is often gets better on its own without needing any therapy. On rare occasions a small in office revision surgery may be helpful if it doesn't smooth out on its own. At 10 days you are pretty early in the healing process and I would expect most of the visible scar to smooth out over time. Please discuss this with your surgeon.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Ivan Wayne, MD
Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon