Are Combined Wedge & Sill Excisions Still Performed? (photo)

Is the method of procedure still preformed, 4 surgeons have already told me that they personally do not use this method due to the potential of scaring, i've only met 1 surgeon in the UK so-far who is willing to preform this way.

Wedge and Sill Excisions Still Performed

+1

Wedge and sill excisions are useful in patients with wide appearing nostrils.  What is needed will vary according to anatomy and patient desires.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Wedge and sill (Weir) excisions for alar base narrowing during rhinoplasty

+1

These excisions are routinely performed for narrowing of the alar bases.  I prefer to keep the scar contained within the sill area, but the wedge is removed wherever it is needed to achieve the desired result.  The scar is never visible.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Wedge and sill excisions

+1

I use a variation of the procedure that you posted if the patient has significant flare and width of the nose.

Are Combined Wedge & Sill Excisions Still Performed?

+1

Absolutely. In the correctly selected patient these excisions can result in a more narrow base of the nose, less flare of the nostrils or both. If performed properly, the potential scar typically heals very nicely. I've found that using skin glue on the skin portion of the incision results in a scar that looks good very soon after surgery. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar and sill excision with rhinoplasty

+1

Yes, alar base reduction  with sill excision can be performed.  The incisions can be placed in a way that minimizes visibility with a technique that maintains the lateral aspect of the sill, otherwise you may get a Q-deformity and visible scarring.

Angela Sturm, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Weir rhinoplasty nasal sill excisions

+1

These excisions are perform to change the alar width and contour of the lower third of the nose. Internal nostril sill excisions to narrow alar width is often used in Black + Asian noses. The scarring is barely noticeable as it is a the base of the nostril. 

What you have pictured with an external incision can cause scarring that is sometimes very noticeable. However, changing the alar margin this incision must be used and there is a small risk of noticeable scarring.

David Ellis MD FRCSC Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon at Art of Facial Surgery

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon