Treatment of prominent Hand Veins. (photo)

I would like to remove or reduce in size the veins on the back of my hands, but do not want to compromise my circulation or health. Vascular surgeons seem divided as to whether this is a safe treatment or not, with some saying the veins are important for draining the blood from the hands. I do not feel filler or fat transfer will sufficiently cover these veins. Also, how can Sclerotherapy 'reduce' the size of veins, but still allow blood to pass though them? Could this cause a blood clot?

Hand Veins

+1
I commonly treat dorsal hand veins with sclerotherapy and have never experienced a blood clot, nor has it been reported in the literature secondary to hand vein sclerotherapy.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment of hand veins

+1
Our office specializes in hand vein treatment. Options include fillers, microphlebectomy, and/or sclerotherapy for hand veins. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Treatment for Hand Veins

+1
There are several treatments that can minimize the appearance of unwanted hand veins. Sclerotherapy is an innovative vein removal treatment that safely and effectively diminishes spider veins from the hands. If a patient is not a candidate for Sclerotherapy, laser treatments can also be utilized.

Karen Beasley, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Hand veins can safely be treated in multiple ways including laser, sclerotherapy and small incision removal.

+1
The treatment of hand veins has evolved especially since vein doctors are now treating veins in all areas of the body. Certainly this is considered a cosmetic procedure and these veins can be treated safely. The opposition to treating hand veins by some is that they may be needed in the future for iv insertion. There are many other veins that can be used for this if the hand veins are treated.  I treat hand veins frequently and have been treating them for over 15 years with very excellent results.  I use several methods to treat them--for the larger veins as you show in the pictures, I use a laser within the large ropey veins and for the smaller veins I usually use sclerotherapy or sometimes small incision removal (microphlebectomy). All methods work well and all procedures are done under local anesthesia with essentially no downtime.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy for Hand Veins

+1
You bring up good points, which are covered on this information I have prepared on the link below. Vascular surgeons are NOT 'divided' as to treating superficial hand veins. As long as your deep veins are OK, the superficial veins of the hand can be treated. You did not have those prominent veins in the hands when you were younger, why would you need them now ? So, since they were not there when you were young and they are removed (or injected0, what makes you think you will need them / 

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon