Is This Normal Swelling and Bruising from Ear Cartilage Harvest 5 Days Post Op?

I have extensive bruising and swelling around ear posterior ear cartilage incision site. When I an late taking pain killer it really is quite bad! This is is addition to fascia harvest incision and very sore throat. Can't add photo with iPhone?

+1

If you have extensive bruising and swelling around the ear along with pain you will need to be examined by your surgeon.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Is this normal swelling and bruising from ear cartilage harvest 5 days post-op?

+1

I would recommend speaking with your surgeon, as there may be an issue that needs attention. A small amount of swelling and bruising around the area where the cartilage is harvested is normal, but if it is severe then it should be examined. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Cartilage and Rhinoplasty

+1

You could expect to have some amount of discomfort and bruising after having the ear cartilage harvested for the rhinoplasty but extreme pain and extensive bruising is not normal.  Go see your surgeon.

Andrew B. Denton, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain after ear cartilage harvest

+1

See your surgeon.  You could have a problem that is causing your pain.   Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Extensive bruising after harvesting of cartilage is unusual.

+1

Usually the harvesting of cartilage for grafting during rhinoplasty yields minimal bruising and swelling. This should be checked out by your surgeon.