How Can I Deal with a Broken Nose at Home?

I was play fighting, and a knee wacked my nose. There was a loud crunch, but it didn't look very different. This happened last night. It was incredibly painful, and the pain hasn't seemed to have gone. When I touch it near the bridge of my nose, it really hurts, and I think there is definitely some swelling or something, as I have a slight hill on my nose, and it's somewhat gotten slightly bigger. We both think my nose isn't broken, it hasn't deformed and doesn't look crooked and it didn't bleed.

Broken nose repair

+1

It is important to make sure that the nose is not broken and the septum is not fractured. A septal hematoma can result from a fractured septum and can be very problematic in the healing process. The only way to know is to be examined by an ENT doctor or a facial plastic surgeon.

+1

You will want to ice your nose for the next two days. You might also consider taking some Arnica Montana and avoiding aspirin to minimize bruising as well as sleeping with your head elevated on a couple of pillows. If there is any sign that your nose is crooked you would be best served by seeking a consultation with a Facial Plastic Surgeon or ENT. Broken noses can be treated in a straight-forward fashion in the office during the first two weeks following an injury. Beyond that point, surgery is typically required to straighten a crooked nose. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon