Is it Possible to do an Endosocpic Abdominoplasty with a Hernia Repair of my Belly Button?

Abdominoplasty or dermolipectomy

+1

The scientific name of a tummy tuck is dermolipectomy which means "cutting skin and fat" the name endoscopic abdominoplasty does not means you will have small scars is just a marketing gimmick because you could use an endoscope (camera) to perform a portion of the procedure. If you do not remove excess of skin or fat then you do not have or need an abdominoplasty. Most patients that need an abdominoplasty will not benefit in any noticeable way with the use of the endoscope.

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Endoscopic abdominoplasty

+1

An endoscopic abdominoplasty is to repair a diastasis recti or separation of the muscles. I do not remove any or very little skin with this procedure. I need a cut either in the pubic area or the belly button. A umbilical hernia can usually be repaired at that same time. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Endoscopic hernia repair will not be a tummy tuck

+1

The need for tummy tuck is based on skin excess, laxity, and stretch marks. A component of tummy tuck can be muscle repair or correction of diastasis, however endoscopic hernia repair which is a common procedure cannot produce the effect of a tummy tuck.

peterejohnsonmd

Endoscopic Abdominoplasty & Hernia Repair

+1

An endoscopic tummy tuck or abdominoplasty is reasonable if you have only an umbilical hernia and diastasis with no skin excess, but this situation would be very unusual.  If there is excess skin present, a claassical, full abdominoplasty is required to remove the excess skin.

John Whitt, MD

Endoscopic tummy tuck and hernia repair

+1

Endoscopic tummy tucks tighten the deep fascia through access incisions only, and do not resect skin.  They are technically difficult and involve no removal of skin at all, a shortcoming.  We prefer doing an abdominoplasty in such patients that does away with the access incisions in favor of a low-positioned C-section like incision, still tightening the complete deep layer, but removing some skin as well.  This procedure requires endoscopic equipment in some cases.

I have found it very difficult to repair an umbilical hernia from a strictly endoscopic approach.  If mesh is used to stuff into the hernia from the inside, this requires entry into the abdominal cavity, not routine during tummy tuck surgery.  Also this approach does nothing for the shape of the umbilicus, which has usually suffered as a result of being dilated from a hernia over the years. 

Likewise, mesh repairs in the umbilical area frequently distort the appearance of the umbilicus.

In most cases, there is loose skin around the umbilicus that should be removed, and the umbilicus can benefit from some reshaping.

For all those reasons, we don't perform umbilical hernia repairs endoscopically while doing an endoscopic tummy tuck, but rather from an around the belly button incision (peri umbilical).

Brent Moelleken, MD

Endoscopic abdominoplasty

+1

Thanks for your question -

An abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) consists of multiple components designed to correct cosmetic concerns.  Part of the operation involves removing skin and fat above the abdominal wall muscles.  Another part of the operation involves tightening the abdominal wall muscles (plicating).

You can have an endoscopic (think small incisions and the surgery performed using cameras under your skin) abdominal wall plication and possibly a hernia repair, but you cannot remove the skin and fat this way.

I hope this helps!

Steven H. Williams, MD