Is Endoscopic Diastasis Repair and Umbilical Reconstruction Right for Me?

I am 6 months postpartum and my diastasis muscles are still separated (I say still because I'm told this condition sometimes self corrects). I believe that I also have an umbilical hernia as my bellybutton is now an outie (it's inside out, actually)and it sometimes pops out when I sit up. I don't have much loose skin and I really don't want a large scar as a result of surgery. Is it possible to repair my diastasis with endoscopic surgery? Please see my photos. Thank you for your help!

Yes you should get the muscle and hernia repaired

+2
Yes you should get the muscle and hernia repaired. Looking at your pictures it seems like you have recovered beautifully but now you are left with a diastasis and a hernia that should be repaired. Endoscopic approach can work if you are able to find the surgeon who can do it for you. Alternatively a mini tummy tuck could be an answer as repairing the diastasis will probably leave you with some skin excess as the belly gets deflated. The umbilicus should be repaired as well. Sincerely, Martin Jugenburg, MD

Endoscopic Repair if Rectus Diastasis and Umbilical Hernia Repair

+2

Yes, you can do diastasis tightening endoscopically and umbilical herniorrhaphy through the same incision. However, from your pictures, I would suggest only the umbilical hernia repair. Discuss this with a plastic surgeon and find out what they say after an examination and discussion of your concerns.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Endoscopic repair of diastasis

+2

Thanks for posting pictures - it makes giving answers much more informative for other patients and allows us to give more specific advice.  It looks like you may be a good candidate for endoscopic diastasis repair, but an in-person examination would be required to know for sure.  In this procedure, just a few small incisions would be required.  At the same time, if you had an umbilical hernia, it would be repaired as well.  If you had a large diastasis or any loose skin, then you would not be a good candidate.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Endoscopic repair of rectus diastasis

+2

Hi Vanessa-

Congratulations on your pregnancy and smooth postpartum course!  Looks like your skin has recovered very well.  As you mentioned, the rectus diastasis can sometimes "repair itself" but it is unlikely to go away entirely.  The rectus abdominis muscles get pushed out laterally to make room for the uterus during pregnancy.  After delivery, these muscles do come back into the midline, but usually not completely.  You seem to have a moderate diastasis after 6 months and while this may improve slightly with time it is unlikely to totally correct itself.  Now to answer your question--there is no reliable method of repairing a rectus diastasis endoscopically.  While some surgeons may have tried it, no plastic surgeons that I know of are doing it routinely--nor have there been any large studies showing this method to be safe and effective.  Having said that, it is possible to do a diastasis repair without a large scar, but some sort of lower abdominal scar would be necessary in my view.  I suggest going in for a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area to get the best opinion.  Good luck!

Dr. Singer

Elan B. Singer, MD

Endoscopic repair of rectus

+1

Hi there

Thanks for your question. You have a super figure and appear to be in excellent shape. The most obvious problem is the umbilical hernia which probably needs correcting and it would be possible to perform a rectus plication too endoscopically.

This is technically challenging so needs to be discussed in detail with your plastic surgeon.

Good luck

Paul Banwell, MBBS, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon

Endoscopic diastasis repair

+1

An endoscopic diastasis repair will tighten the muscle but not address any loose skin that is present.  You might  benefit from a mini tummy tuck and umbilical hernia repair. This is done through an incision the size of a c-section scar. A slightly longer incision will allow full correction of the diastasis.  Regardless of the procedure performed, an umbilical hernia repair should be done at the same time.

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon