What is a Endoscopic Brow Lift and When Is It the Best Choice?

What is a endoscopic brow lift and what other types of brow lifts are there and which ones are needed for what problem?

Brow Lift

+1

An endoscopic brow lift is a brow lift done with a few incisions on the top of your head and the dissection and lifting is done with instruments and a camera instead of direct vision like in a traditional brow lift. I prefer it in patients with a low hairline. 

When an Endoscopic Forehead Lift Best

+1

There are many methods for performing a browlift or forehead lift including an endoscopic browlift (through tiny incisions with the assistance of telescopes) , bicoronal forehead lift (extensive incision from ear to ear across the top of the head) and a tricophytic or hairline browlift. (hidden along the hairline. Each of these techniques achieves a similar result through the brow and the forehead in terms of smoothing of lines and gentle elevation of the brows.

The key difference is in how they affect your hairline. The Bicoronal (ear to ear) browlift elevates or pulls your hairline back, raising the frontal hairline by up to one inch. The Endoscopic lift has minimal effect of the position of the hairline. The tricophytic or hairline browlift can be used to adjust the hairline, usually lowering it to address a receding hairline or widow's peaks in the temporal hairline.

An Endoscopic forehead lift is the best option when your goal is to maintain your hairline and have minimal incision and visible scarring postoperatively.
I always caution my patients that they continue to age and that no procedure is permanent, however, if performed by a board certified, facial plastic surgeon, your results should be very long lasting.

Dr. Clevens

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Endoscopic Forehead Lift is a procedure that allows the lifting of the forehead and brows through several incisions into the hairlines. This procedure is an specialized procedure that require certain experience in order to achieve an excellent result. There several factors that if done correctly will lead to adequately lifted forehead and brows that is long lasting and more often eliminate the need for eyelid surgery. The scars are minimal and not as extensive as coronal lift.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Endoscopic Brow Lift

+1
In my practice I do most of my Brow Lifts using the endoscopic technique. The procedure is done with a small scope and three small incisions in the hairline. With this technique I elevate not only the brow but also the mid face. This makes it ideal for the patient that first starts seeing signs of aging in the upper and mid face. No skin is removed or scalp so there is minimal elevation of the hairline and it gives you a natural and rejuvenated look with no signs of surgery. This is one of my favorite procedures and my patients are grateful for their new youthful appearance.

Michael Elam, MD

Endoscopic Brow Lift - one of several options

+1

The endoscopic brow lift has been around for more than 15 years and is a great operation for the right patient.  About 4 or 5 small incisions (less than an inch) behind the hairline and specialized instruments are used to release the attachments of the brow and forehead.  The forehead is then elevated and supported using sutures and / or absorbable implants.

Features that make someone a good candidate for endo brow:

•    mild to moderate brow ptosis
  •    absence of a "tall" forehead
  •    lack of a very thick or heavy brow

Other types of brow lifts include:

- pretrichial  (hairline)   -- often great for people with high hairlines who wear their hair in bangs

- internal browpexy  -- for very mild degrees of brow descent; done through an eyelid (blepharoplasty) wound

- midforehead / supraciliary -- more often used for men with deep forehead creases

Mark Lucarelli, MD, FACS

Oculoplastic Surgeon,  Madison, WI

Mark J. Lucarelli, MD
Madison Oculoplastic Surgeon

The Minimally Invasive Endoscopic Browlift

+1

The endoscopic brow lift is a wonderful procedure for patients that are good candidates. The endoscopic brow lift that I perform involves making three 1 inch incisions behind the hairline and using two absorbable fixation implants called  endotine. The other alternative for a brow lift I reserve for patients with a high hairline and that technique requires a coronal incision. This incision is made along the edge of the hairline and the excess skin is removed. The brow lift procedure is performed for patients who have a low brow which can lead to a heavy appearance of the upper eyelids.  

Bernard Shuster, MD
Hollywood Plastic Surgeon

Endoscopic brow lift

+1

An endoscopic brow lift is a great operation for the individual who want their eyebrows raised especially for treatment of lateral hooding.   It is not good for escessive forehead lines.

Endoscopic browlift and other types of browlifts

+1

There are two approaches for lifting the eyebrows. There is the endoscopic approach, which usually involves five 1½-inch incisions placed vertically in the scalp or one longer incision approximately 12-15 cm in length, which is called the coronal approach. Concerns that need to be addressed by the browlift are the eyebrow level, the hairline level, and the dynamic ability of the corrugator muscles, frontalis muscles, and procerus muscles. These muscles can all be surgically softened and is best done with the coronal approach. The coronal approach can also lower the hairline one-half inch if desired. In addition to all the above, it should be determined as to whether or not there is dermal atrophy of the corrugator area. If so, fascia grafts are harvested from the scalp and inserted between the corrugator muscle and dermis to plump out the area of depression from the two wrinkles between the eyebrows. This cannot be performed under an endoscopic approach. Endoscopic approach tends to lift the hairline and it also has less predictable results.  

Endoscopic Brow Lift

+1

In an endoscopic brow lift several small incisions (about 2.0 cm in length) are made in the hair-bearing scalp, the endoscpe is inserted, the forehead is mobilized, and the brows and forehead are lifted. With this procedure no skin is removed but simply shifted toward the back of the head. Because the hairline is elevated more than with other procedures, this technique is best in patients with a low hairline.

Brow Lift Plastic Surgery Options - Endoscopic vs. Open

+1

Hi bern in Australia,

Unlike traditional brow lift surgery that involves an incision across the entire forehead, the endoscopic brow lift is a minimally invasive method of lifting the eyebrows. Plastic surgeons perform minimally invasive plastic surgery through very small incisions hidden in the hair & scalp to recreate a youthful appearance. Brow lift surgery lifts and repositions sagging tissue that occurs with natural aging and sun damage.

Endoscopic brow lifts, also called an endobrow, usually takes under an hour.

Benefits of an endobrow, as compared to traditional brow lift surgery:

• smaller incisions
  • reduced scarring, bruising, bleeding, swelling, numbness
  • faster recovery period

Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a plastic surgeon help determine if an endoscopic brow lift is appropriate for you. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon