Endescopic Brow Lift Recovery Recommendations?

Day 3 recovery endoscopic brow lift. 3 incisions & sturtures. Told I could lie in a 45 degree angle but my eyes are very red & swollen now. Is this normal? Will sleep sitting up to lessen this and use a cold compresses? I also felt significant pain in hospital. Nurses told me it is a very painful operation. I have also had a basic nose job that may be increasing the swelling. I was shocked at the low level pain killers given in hospital. No Oxycontin but Co-Codamol 30/500. What would you pescribe?

Postoperative Endoscopic Brow Lift Care

+2

Swelling after almost any procedure in the head and neck area seems to be the greatest on postoperative day two.  So you would seem to be following a fairly typical postoperative course.  Keeping your head elevated and using ice definitely help the swelling following the surgery.  I would also agree that an endoscopic brow lift seems to cause more discomfort than an open brow lift.  Typically I would prescribe Percocet for my patients having an endoscopic brow lift.  Please follow up with your surgeon if you continue to be in significant pain.

Swelling is normal

+1

It is way to early after surgery for you to worry about swelling.  There is significant swelling in the first two weeks after surgery, and sometimes even longer than that.  Please be patient with your body and let it heal.

Everyone's pain tolerance is different. If you are not having adequate pain control, you need to discuss this with your surgeon.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Recovery

+1

The swelling sounds normal for the stage of recovery that you are in. The swelling will improve with time and head elevation

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Endoscopic Brow Lift Recovery

+1

At this point of day three you are experiencing the normal after effects of your procedure. You are on the right track regarding sitting up and using a cold compress. Something else you can do is lower your salt intake which will help your body to rid itself of excess water and can help reduce swelling. We usually recommend sleeping in something like an easy chair which can help keep you at the right angle without additional effort.As for the pain aspect, an endoscopic brow lift and basic rhinoplasty would be considered to cause moderate to severe pain depending on the person's tolerance. We would typically prescribe a medication that would be to treat that kind of pain level. Oxycontin is a very strong pain killer in that it is more indicated for someone who needs around the clock pain management for an extended period of time. The side effects from this kind of surgical procedure are not considered long term and therefore that kind of pain killer would not be given.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Endescopic Brow Lift Recovery Recommendations

+1

Your swelling and discomfort do not sound unusual following brow and nasal surgery. Your surgeon's office however would be best suited to giving you advice on your recovery. We typically provide Vicodin or Oxycodone for pain relief following these procedures. Oxycontin would be an unusual choice as you typically do not require such a long-lasting narcotic medication following facial cosmetic surgery.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after endoscopic brow lift

+1

Three days is very early on your path to recovery.  In general, it would be quite normal for your eyes to be bruised and swollen at this point after your procedure. Cool compresses, head elevation, excercise restriction, and salt restriction may help.  Mostly its a matter of time.  It would be good to see your surgeon for reassurance and to make sure you don't have an unusual problem.

John Q. Cook, MD