Will I Definitely Encapsulate Because I Had a Seroma?

I am almost 2 weeks post-op from an open capsulectomy/implant exchange (right side only), and I developed excessive fluid in my breast. It's huge,and the doctor wanted to keep an eye on it, but will probably put a drain in in a day or 2. Will I encapsulate because I've had the fluid in there for a while?

Seroma drainage

+2

A small amount of seroma is not a problem but it is best to drain anything but the smallest collection to keep the rate of contracture down. I would be worried about a hematoma not a seroma and those increase encapsulation risk as well. You are probably best served by drainage, so follow-up with your surgeon to see his take on this.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Seroma, Hematoma, and Capsular Contracture

+2

Short answer: yes, you are at higher risk for capsular contracture if you have a seroma or hematoma. I would not hesistate to proceed with appropriate drain placement with such a size discrepancy and suspicion for seroma/hematoma and would recommend you consult with your plastic surgeon immediately.

Derek Lou, MD

Capsular contracture after seroma

+2

Seroma formation after capsulectomy is uncommon, and if your breast is huge as you say on one side my bet is bleeding into the pocket or a hematoma. In either case the breast should be drained right away, The fluid or blood is an irritant and the risk of capsular contracture is about 25%. Best not to keep an eye on it any longer.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast Augmentation Revision Complicated with Seroma

+2

A large Seroma should be evacuated immediately and a drain should be left in for several days.  Not only it will not get obsorbed on its own but will increase the chance of infection and recurrence of Capsular Contracture. 

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)