How soon after upper eyelid surgery can I have ptosis repair?

Hello. I've got a little bit of aging-related ptosis in one eyelid which has become much more noticeable since my upper blepharoplasty. (I guess there's nothing there to hide it anymore, now that all the excess skin is gone.) I was wondering how long I should wait for my bleph to heal before looking into ptosis repair surgery. It's been about 4 months. Thank you.

Ptosis after blepharoplasty

+2
By 4 months, the swelling associated with the blepharoplasty should have resolved enough for your surgeon to accurately assess your ptosis.
I would recommend a consultation with an Oculofacial surgeon. I have posted a resource for you to find one near you in the link below

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis after blepharoplasty

+2
You should wait about 6 months to be sure that any swelling has gone away as this can make the lid droop.  At  6 months, a good option is then a Mullers muscle resection to elevate the lid.  This is a surgery that is done from the underside of the lid.  It is a great surgery for patients who do not need any skin removed. See an oculoplastic surgeon so they can do a special  test to see if you are a candidate for this surgery.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis surgery following a blepharoplasty repair.

+2
Under many insurance plans blepharoptosis repair is now bundled with blepharoplasty surgery meaning the insurance won't cover both simultaneously.  This is unfortunate as it is medically and conveniently ideal to do them simultaneously.  I often will do one or the other anytime after 3 months as long as their is no residual swelling from the initial surgery.  Sometimes there can be some internal scarring, which is normal following an upper blepharoplasty that can make the ptosis repair a little more challenging.  However, performing one surgery after the other had been done is generally not a big issue for experienced surgeons.  

John R. Burroughs, MD
Colorado Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis surgery may be done at the time of blepharoplasty.

+2
It is not routinely repaired.  Sometimes swelling associated with the surgery can make the ptosis worse.  Sometimes it is simply that the blepharoplasty was unmasked by the blepharoplasty.  Generally by 4 months it is reasonable to have this surgically addressed.  As a practical matter, you may that by the time you find the right surgeon and get scheduled, you will be close to 6 months after your surgery, a time frame that most surgeons are comfortable with.

Ptosis repair is generally done at the same time is blepharoplasty.

+2
If ptosis has been unmasked by blepharoplasty and you desire it to be corrected this can be done at any time.

How soon after upper eyelid surgery can ptosis repair be done?

+2
Ptosis repair is normally done at the same time as upper blepharoplasty.  Since you had the upper blepharoplasty without ptosis repair, you should discuss the timing of your ptosis repair with the surgeon who would be performing the procedure.  Each surgeon may have a different preference as to how long to wait in between procedures.  I would think that 6 months after your upper blepharoplasty would be fine, but there may be some surgeons who would perform the procedure now at 4 months after.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon