Is skin pinch or laser treatment better after lower eyelid blepharoplasty?

At 30, I wanted to remove bags/wrinkles under my eyes and correct a facial asymmetry (one side sags more than the other, from eye to mouth). That is why we went with the extended bleph. 6 months post-op, I still have slight bags under my eyes and wrinkling under the eyes, especially when smiling. Facial asymmetry was not corrected since no skin was removed, to avoid risk of ectropian. He said I could come in to the office for a skin pinch or laser treatment later. Reccs of what to do?

Pinch lower eyelid blepharoplasty

+1

Excess skin on the lower lids is usually only present at age 45 or older on the lower lids.  The amount of  skin judged to be removed is based at rest, not upon animation. At age 30 laser treatments might be better.

You may need some volume put back into your lids.

+1

IT is hard to know what was done at age 30 with a bleph, as most people do not have significant extra skin or fat at that age.  Pictures would help a  lot here.  When they did the bleph did the surgeon take out fat?  If so you may have a volume deficit which will accentuate the skin wrinkling.  A pinch will help to remove excess skin if you have any.  But  laser resurfacing will help to improve the quality and texture of the skin.  And there is no cutting with the laser.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

If you want some real help here, post photographs.

+1

At age 30 it is highly unlikely that you "needed" an "extended bleph."  I have been in this business for over 20 years and I am not sure what you mean by an "extended bleph."  You really have not given us enough information to answer your question.  Consider posting these photographs.  Alternatively, I recommend getting several opinions before proceeding with what your surgeon has in mind.

Skin Pinch or Laser

+1

It is difficult to make a diagnosis over the internet but skin pinch, laser, and chemical peels can tighten the skin of the lower lids. 

Bags or pseudoherniation of fat in the lower lids require direct removal with surgery and will not be corrected with skin pinch, laser, or chemical peels.

For select patients the addition of a canthopexy can tighten the laxity of the lid and correct a lower lid position.

Consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with experience in eyelid surgery. 

Best wishes

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Skin pinch versus laser treatment for under eyes

+1

It is difficult to answer your question without seeing you or at least seeing pictures of you.  Both a skin pinch and laser treatment can help with lower eyelid skin although both will not help with bags from fat.  There are many different types of lasers, so I am also not sure which one your doctor would use.  Without seeing you, I would generally say that either treatment should provide some improvement but there are pros and cons of both that you could discuss with your surgeon.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon