Embarassing Bald Patch? (photo)

I am 20 years old. I have a circular bald spot on the center of my hairline that was the result of constantly wearing tight buns daily. Upon further research I came to find out that because of the constant tugging, the hair routes there have died. The patch is about an inch wide and goes an inch and a half back into my hair. I used to have a widow's peak, but even that is completely nonexistent now. Would a hair transplant work for me? What are some important things I need to know?

Bald spot - ok for surgery?

+1
Be absolutely certain to visit a knowledgable hair specialist to be certain this is not due to a hair loss condition called alopecia areata (or another hair loss condition that is not suitable for a hair transplant). 

Alopecia areata patches of hair loss are not suitable for transplant

If it truly is due to wearing tight buns daily (a condition called traction alopecia) a hair transplant may be possible. 

But, please don't jump to the conclusion this is the cause without visiting a knowledgable hair loss physician. 

Hair Transplant for Traction Alopecia

+1

Yes, hair transplant is an excellent option for traction alopecia. I recommend FUE because it creates the maximum aesthetic result for hairline work and produces minimal scarring in the donor area.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Traction Alopecia and Hair Transplants

+1

Yes that area is very suitable for hair transplants.  Obviously, discontinuation of wearing hair in tight buns is recommended. Excision certainly can be performed but the simplicity is debatable depending on the looseness of the surrounding scalp. In my experience with scalp reconstruction removal and closure of the area and resultant wound requires long incisions in the hair bearing scalp to close. 

Dr ES

Bald spot

+1

Transplants or simple excision could work for you. The approach depends on your physical findings and the experience of your surgeon. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair transplant for bald area from wearing hair too tight

+1

Yes, you are a great candidate for a hair transplant procedure.  This is a common problem in women, especially when they wear their hair back tight.  THe hair can be extracted with the Neograft automated follicular unit extraction device and then placed in the front.  There is no cutting or scar in the back as in older techniques.  The success rate is very high for this type of procedure

Paul M. Glat, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Bald patch frontal/central scalp. Traction alopecia?

+1

Assuming you are correct and that this bald spot is in fact due to wearing a tight bun, then yes, you are an excellent candidate for hair transplantation surgery.  In order to be sure that something else is not going on (alopecia areata, telogen effluvium, trichotillomania, tinea capitis, etc.), you need an in-person consultation with either a local dermatologist or a hair transplant surgeon.  Start by getting referrals from your primary care doctor and then go from there.  Take your time and do your research.  Best of luck to you. 

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Bald patch in scalp.

+1

Bald patch in scalp may be due to tension or alopecia areata. This can be treated with grafts or simple excision which I have done for 35 years.