Ice Pick Acne Scars - EMatrix Vs Profractional Laser?

Hi have ice pick acne scars in both of my cheeks. I visited two Laser clinics and both referred me to different treatments. One recommended Profractional Laser with Micro Laser Peel and the another recommended the eMatrix sublative treatment. I am 25 year old Asian women (light brown skin tone). Kindly direct me which would be the right option for better results for my skin tone. I have attached the before photo of my cheek.

None of the above... TCA Cross before any RF or Laser

+1
Ice pick scars... though deep, they are super easy to treat- a process called TCA cross can give excellent results. If one lasers ice pick scars, you have to get to the base of the scar to completely remove it. Ice pick scars, as the name suggests are very deep. 
RF or radiofrequency can work, the resistance of collagen bundles in ice pick scars, causes heating, and hence remodelling. This may work for some, but not others. My method of acne treatment is to treat the scar type, and skin type using a combination of techniques, 

Hope this helps. 
Dr Davin S. Lim 
Laser Dermatologist

Brisbane Dermatologist

Ice pick acne scars in ethnic skin

+1

my preference is to treat this type of scar with a fractionated CO2 laser system. I think this allows a certain depth of injury which helps improve these scars. Because you have ethnic skin ( pigment) we have to be more careful with your skin and often decrease our settings ( less aggressive). This means you will likely require more treatments to accomplish the same goal. Very deep acne scars are best treated with simple excision and closure( trading an acne scar for a better controlled scar).

Jeffrey Kenkel, MD

Ice pick acne scar treatments

+1

Fractional resurfacing improves ice pick acne scars, however, even though micro laser peel is an excellent treatment for shallow surface irregularities, I would be concerned about pigmentation changes after this treatment, particularly now that we are heading into the sunnier time of the year.

I would recommend waiting until the fall to have the fractional resurfacing, using a broad specrum sunscreen during the summer and using a bleaching cream for a month before and a month after each fractional treatment for acne scars.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon