EMatrix IR or RE for Acne Scars and Discoloration of Skin (Med Dark Skin)

My heritage is of Middle Eastern, and I have tons of acne scars with occasional flare ups still in my mid 30's. For most part my skin is now doing better but I'm left with discoloration on my face (uneven skin tone), and pitted scars (med size). Plus, I've started to notice some sagging on my checks as well...I came across eMatrix when researching treatment options, and eMatrix looks like it came solve my problems. My question is - will the treatment provide noticeable difference in my case?

EMatrix is a strong option for ethnic skin

+1

Your first step is to gain solid control over your breakouts to eliminate future scarring. This can be achieved rather quickly with a proper treatment program through your dermatologist.

eMatrix uses Radio Frequency (RF) to create heat deep within the skin. This heat then creates a collagen generation response and it is this new collagen that helps smooth acne scars.

For new "red" scars after breakouts, shutting down that inflammation action with Vbeam can reduce the damage that's still going on underneath.

The positive aspect of RF energy is that for the most part it "bypasses" the melanin cells. (Getting the melanin cells excited means you'll be dealing with post treatment pigmentation -something you want to avoid).

Laser is different from RF energy and so is IR (infrared light). At your age, your acne scarring and acne control is a bigger issue than any slight skin laxity you may be seeing, so I'd tackle the acne/scar issue first.

Since eMatrix is a series-based treatment program, you will likely see some tissue tightening along with improvement in scarring, though not on a grand scale.

Sagging can be handling in a variety of ways, and sometimes it will only take some filler or Sculptra to put things back into proper perspective. We all tend to lose the apple of the cheek, some earlier than others. Getting that back, with fillers or your own collagen, makes definite improvements.

For actual structural drift downward and support tissue laxity, Ultherapy is a newer FDA approved nonsurgical lifting and tightening device.

Los Angeles Dermatologist

EMatrix Treatment for Acne Scars in Darker Skin

+1

Sublative rejuvenation with the eMatrix is an effective procedure for improving the appearance of acne scars. A key advantage to this treatment is the minimal downtime. Several studies have shown that the eMatrix did not cause any of the complications that can be seen with the more aggressive resurfacing procedures such as increased pigmentation, acne flares, infection, prolonged inflammation, or scarring. It has been proven safe to use for all skin types would would be especially important for you.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon