What Else Can I Do to Improve an Open Incision Under My Left Breast from Breast Reduction? (photo)

I am almost 4 weeks post op BR and I have a opening under my left breast. My PS has advised me to use xerform petroleum dressing. I have read alot of reviews about keeping it dry and letting it air out. Are these correct? I have a vacation planned on the 26th to the caribbean and I would love to be able to swim. Is it ok to use neosporin also?

Hello

+1
You incision Doesn't look infected your instructions from your P's Sounds accurate. Keep it clean don't let your clothes rub your incision. Neosporin is not good.

What Else Can I Do to Improve an Open Incision Under My Left Breast from Breast Reduction?

+1

The posted underexposed photo demonstrates a minor wound separation that is healing. Continue following your operative surgeon's advise. I see no issue with you swimming at the end go july. But check with your surgeon. 

Wound Healing Problem after Breast Reduction?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

You should have peace of mind that the open area will will eventually heal,  probably without need for further intervention. Since your plastic surgeon is ultimately responsible for your care, I would suggest that you follow his instructions which seem reasonable. The use of topical antibiotics cannot hurt assuming you do not have an allergy.

Open wound 1 months After Breast Reduction

+1

The wound is healing well.

If it’s not draining, Xeroform is a good option followed by silicone scar pads when the skin has healed to a sufficient extent.

If it’s still draining, apply Silvadene ointment twice a day for 5-7 days followed by sunscreen with moisturizer.

You will be able to swim during your vacation.

Good Luck

David Evdokimow, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Open wound under Breast after a reduction, what should I do?

+1

There a various ways to treat it, I would not advise to leave it open and let it air out, moist wounds heal better than dry wounds. There are various ways to keep it moist, wet dressings, xeroform guaze, triple antibiotic ointment etc, goood luck and it will heal.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon