What else helps besides cold after Juvederm around the mouth?

How to Reduce the Risk of Bruising and Swelling after Juvederm Treatment

+1

If you are concerned with swelling and bruising there a couple of different things you could do to reduce the risks.One would be to stop all blood thinning agents approximately one week prior to and one week after Juvederm injections (such as alcohol, Ibuprofen, aspirin, Vitamin E and Fish Oil).Second would be to find a doctor who injects using microcannulas.A microcannula is a small flexible needle without a sharp tip.This allows filler to be injected more precisely and reduces the chance of bruising.Icing the area on and off after treatment will help to reduce swelling.I hope this helps!

Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

Applyling fillers with a microcannula really cuts down bruising!

+1

The microcannula is amazing!  I've been using it in my practice for a little over a year now and it has transformed the way I do fillers.  The biggest change is the incidence of severe bruising which has decreased from 30% to less than 5%

The round tip doesn't injure vessels like a needle does.  The round tip also allows me to inject around the tear trough more thoroughly. 

My patients that have had it both ways LOVE the microcannula, minimal bruising, and minimal discomfort.  I don't find the ice to really be necessary now that I'm using the microcannula.

Good luck in your search for information!

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and Bruisung after filler injections

+1

First of all, avoiding aspirin , anti-inflammatories and vitamin E 2 weeks prior to the treatments help diminsh bruising. We use cold packs in the office after the treatments.  I also offer Arnica pills and an anti-bruise cream (Arnica based cream) for home use after the treatments.

Esta Kronberg, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

Ice the lips and consider asking the MD that did your Juvederm injections for Arnica 12 C.  We have it to be helpful in decreasing bruising after fillers and plastic surgery procedures.  

Swelling & Bruising After Soft Tissue Filler Injections

+1

With all injectable treatments, the risk of bruising will be reduced if patients refrain from the use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen prior to their treatment. The use of cool compresses, beginning immediately after treatment, and continued for at least the first 24 hours is beneficial as well. If after several days some bruising is still remains, some very gentle massage of the skin may help this resolve more quickly.

Arnica montana is a homeopathic medication that some feel may reduce the occurrence of swelling and bruising following injectable treatments or surgery. One Arnica montana product (Sinecch™, Alpine Pharmaceuticals) has been shown to reduce the amount of bruising and swelling after facelift and liposuction surgery. This company now offers a dosing pack for patients receiving injectables. I have no affiliation with Alpine Pharmaceuticals and refer you to the following web pages so you can evaluate this for yourself.

Go to the Alpine Pharmaceuticals website -- www-dot-alpinepharm-dot-com

Click on the "Research" tab along the top.

Click on the "Sinecch" tab along the top and select "Sinecch for Cosmetic Surgery"

Best wishes. Ken Dembny

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Care With Juvederm Injections

+1

To minimize bruising it is helpful to avoid any foods or medications that thin your blood for 48 hours before any injections. For example aspirin, aspirin containing drugs, alcohol, and garlic. After the injections cold compresses are the best treatment.

Avoid Juvederm swelling

+1

A certain amount of Juvederm swelling is inevitable, but I find that gentle icing of the skin immediately prior to, and during injecting helps prevent bruising and swelling. Also, avoid hot baths, saunas, hot tubs and exercise for at least 24 hours. Keeping your  head elevated at night.helps too, and Vitamin K cream applied to bruises can  be of benefit. 

Louise H. Stewart, MD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Post Juvederm care

+1

Careful icing of the area off and on for the first twenty four hours is really the best option. Bromelain tablets have been show to "possibly" help decrease swelling and bruising so these are also an option. There has never been a study to show that Arnica, either topically or orally, makes any difference when compared to placebo.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon