What Else Can I Do? Breast Implant Revision and Having Scar Issues? (photo)

I had my first ba in 2003. 7 months later i was diagnosed with a peri-implant infection. a lump formed on the scar, opened up and started leaking. my implant was removed for 6 months before it was replaced. ever since then i was faced with a scar problem over and over again, the scar tightens and gets indented no matter how we try to fix it. i need all the doctors' opinions on this as i have been struggling with the issue for 9 years. please read my review for all the procedures i went through.

Internal scar sounds like the issue

+2

It sounds like the internal scarring process is the issue.  The only thing that I can recommend if "everything" has been tried is to start fresh and cover all bases.  That is, trying to get back to a fresh pocket will likely offer the best chance of success.  To do so all of the scar tissue will need to be removed, a new implant should be placed in a new pocket if possible, a drain should be used, Accolate or similar medications should be used, and ADM (acellular derma matrix) may also be entertained.

Dr Remus Repta

Nine Years of Dealing with Capsular Contracture

+2

I am sorry you have gone through all these problems for this long.  You didn't mention in your history of your breast implant problems which side is problematic, but it appears to be the left side that has contracted.  Are your implants over or under the muscle?  If you have only been in one of these pockets all this time, switching to a different pocket can decrease your chance of capsular contracture. 

Also, I am a firm believer in Accolate.  It is an asthma pill that has a great track record for decreasing capsular contracture.  20 mgs twice a day for 90 days prescribed for you by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon would certainly be an inexpensive and worthwhile maneuver.  This in conjunction with ultrasound (the kind physical therapists use for sore muscles) is certainly an appropriate first step to see if you can decrease your capsular contracture.  Whichever plastic surgeon you choose will certainly know to do liver function studies prior to starting you on Accolate.  I have been following before and after liver function studies for over 800 patients with zero sign that a short burst of Accolate causes any liver problems.  If non-surgical intervention doesn't work after a 6-month trial, I would certainly give one more plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery an opportunity to remove your scar tissue (open capsulectomy) and place you on prophylactic Accolate for 6 months.  If this regiment doesn't work, then I would either learn to live with the contracture or have both implants taken out. 

It sounds like you have done everything up to this point.  One last trial pulling out all the plugs would be totally appropriate.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon