Am I a Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?

I used to be an avid gym goer but could never get the excess skin and fat deposit below my belly button.I have a distinct "shelf" of fat and skin that just won't go away no matter what I try to do.The reason I've gained weight is due to my frustration from years of trying to get results without being able to achieve them.Although I am heavier than I was to eight months ago, I consider myself in decent shape and not terribly over weight (10-15 pounds).Am I currently elligable for a tummy tuck?

Candidate for Tummy Tuck - How to Tell

+1

Without photos, it is hard to tell whether you are a candidate or not, but it seems like a

tummy tuck may be reasonable for you. Women and men who have excess skin with or

without excess fat around the abdomen (tummy) which does not respond to diet and

exercise are often candidates for abdominoplasty (tummy tuck). Many patients complain

that they cannot flatten their abdominal muscles through exercise, like in your case, which

also means a tummy tuck may be right for them as part of the procedure will tighten them. 

Abdominoplasty candidates have excess abdominal skin which may sag, a disproportionate

or protruding abdomen, weakened or separated abdominal muscles, or excess fat

concentrated in the abdomen.

Do I Need to Lose Weight Before a Tummy Tuck

+1

Tummy tucks:  (1) remove excess skin and fat from the belly button down to the pubic hair; (2) correct the separated musculature (rectus abdominus) which allows you to get rid of the "lower abdominal pot"; (3) gives you a belly button you can be proud of, worthy of putting jewelry in; (4) thins out and tightens up an overly protruding and hanging mons pubis (the area under the pubic hair); (5) often pulls the clitoris up into a much more favorable position for friction; (6) very often relieves lower back pain due to correction of abdominal muscle separation.

Why would anyone give up all these wonderful benefits including improvement of self-esteem just because you are 10 to 15 pounds overweight.  

From your description of all the work you have put in the gym without success, I would say you have done your part.  I believe it is time to turn this surgical problem over to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  You sound like an excellent candidate for a consultation.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for Tummy Tuck

+1

If you have a shelf of excess skin and fat that you cannot resolve with diet and exercise, a full or mini tummy tuck is most likely the answer.    You can expect excellent contour and shape of the trunk/waistline with this procedure.  

I  recommend that my patients have surgery at a weight they will maintain longterm.   If your normal bodyweight is 15 lbs lighter, then I prefer for you to lose the weight first.    However, if you are more likely to maintain your current weight, then proceed at this time.  Bottomline, don't gain weight or get pregnant after your tummy tuck or your longterm result will suffer. 

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Tummy Tuck Option

+1

If you are all done having children, then a tummy tuck may be a good option. A tummy tuck (also called abdominoplasty) is a very popular cosmetic surgery procedure. A tummy tuck can be an effective tool for shaping and sculpting the body for better body appearance and improved self esteem.

Sometimes no amount of diet and exercise can create a flat tummy. Tummy tuck plastic surgery actually tightens abdominal muscles and removes excess fat and skin from the stomach area to create a tighter, slimmer, smoother belly. If you have other trouble spots such as love handles, liposuction may be recommended.

Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Candidates Have An Unchangeable Abdominal Shelf Despite Their Best Efforts

+1

Your abdominal description and history is very classic. The 'I have hit the wall' and the 'unbudging lower belly skin and fat' would describe about half the tummy tuck patients that I see. Being at a reasonably good weight, there is nothing that you can do to get you to where you want to go. This is a surgical problem not an issue of the need for further weight loss, a better diet, or more exercise. You can not spot reduce this belly area, it is a surgical problem. What type of tummy tuck you may need can not be discerned without photos and an examination, but you are a good candidate for the procedure based on your written description. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Tummy tuck

+1

Your complaints are some of the most common of patient scenarios.  Many patients with skin excess find that as they lose weight the have more skin they have that hangs.  You should  seek a BCPS in your area.  During this consultation you will be evaluated by a professional that will tell you which procedure will provide the greatest benefit.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Candidacy

+1

It is difficult to answer your question without a photo and knowing your pregnancy history.  Some women who have never been pregnant and are only about 10 pounds over ideal weight will obtain very nice results with liposuction alone.  You should seek a consult with a BC plastic surgeon who can provide you with your best options.

John Whitt, MD

Tummy tuck candidate

+1

The first thing is to give us a photo but even better, go to a real Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and ask this question.  They will tell you the truth while laser lipo clinics will just tell you that lipo is all you need because that's all they do and they can prey on your fears of a tummy tuck.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

+1

You may very well be a candidate for a tummy tuck, but I could not be sure without an in person consultation.

Schedule a personal consultation.

+1

Your first step should be finding a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and scheduling a consultation.  It is very difficult to advise someone if they are a good candidate for surgery via the internet without seeing your abdomen.