How to Eliminate Acne Permanently

hi, i have acne since 11 years old and it has spread from face to body until now (im 18). I have acne on my face, neck, ears, back and breasts. I dont know how severe it is , i have whiteheads, blackheads and oily skin.

I have a balanced diet and i do exercise, but i still have this problem that i'd like to solve from in to out ,because creams are only temporary and while on use (i know that by experience).

Acne cure

+2

The only medication that we have that potentially cures acne is some people is Accutane (isotretinoin).  Rarely is it 100% resolved.  Mostly it is significantly improved.  Even people who get excellent results from isotretinoin sometimes have to use a topical retinoid for maintenance.  The difference is that after taking Accutane the topical medication works.

Eliminating acne permanently

+1

I'd advise a proper skin assessment, diagnosis, and treatment plan from a dermatologist. Your options include topical therapies that include retin-A, or chemical peels & microdermabrasion, and/or oral therapies such as an oral contraceptive or isotretinoin (likely what you'd require). Blood work or ultrasound may even be required as there may be a hormonal cause to this chronic acne. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Chances are you've inherited the acne gene from

+1

a parent...if it's just blackheads and whiteheads you might find a topical like retin-a combined with microdermabrasion or even use of a clarisonic might be helpful...if the acne is more in the inflammatory family with red bumps, pustules or cysts then isotretinoin the generic form of accutane might be more helpful...unfortunately all of the medicines are treatments...there's no cure when a gene creates an issue...but there is treatment and sometimes the results can be long lasting...

Ken Landow, MD

Eliminating acne permanently

+1

First and foremost we need to determine the cause of your acne.  Is it cystic acne or is it related to irregular menstrual cycle in which case an evaluation should be done to rule out a hormonal cause such as polycystic ovarian syndrome.  In cases of irregular menstrual periods the birth control pill is quite helpful in regulating your cycle and ceratin medications are helpful for hormonal acne such as spironolactone.  If it is cystic acne and convenetional medication has failed you should discuss a treatment such as Accutane to see if you are in fact a candidate.  Unfortunately, although accutanne (isotretinoin) is the most effective acne treatment available it is not possible to eliminate acne permanently.

Jeannette Graf, MD
Great Neck Dermatologist

A Medical Cure for Acne

+1

Acne is an active medical condition, very common in adolescents, and made worse by the rise in hormones that happens during puberty. A complete medical treatment for acne that is inflammatory with black heads, white heads, pus-filled lesions and cysts, includes: oral antibiotics, and a combination of topical creams that include retinoids and antibiotic/anti-inflammatory creams. If after several months of therapy, you still have cystic lesions, isotretioin oral therapy (also known as Accutane), may be indicated. The course of isotretinoin is typically for 20 weeks, and it is estimated that 50% of patients who have this treatment will not require further medication for their acne. However, given the strong hormonal basis for acne in young adults, some patients will continue to suffer from acne and need topical creams and antibiotics. One relatively new treatment that offers great hope for acne is PhotoDynamic Therapy (PDT) using blue light. Great resolution of acne and lasting results have been seen with this treatment.

Leyda Elizabeth Bowes, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Eliminating Acne

+1

Eliminating acne permanently is an almost impossible task.  It is best to focus on overall improvement in a patient's acne with a goal of a clear complexion and minimizing relapses which are almost inevitable. It is advisable to be evaluated by a board certified dermatologist so a diagnosis can be rendered and a treatment plan can be tailored to your specific type and severity of acne.

Anthony Perri, MD
Houston Dermatologist