Am I Eligible for Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK)?

I am 21, have a prescription of -10 (Right) and -8 (Left) and corneal thickness of 485 for one eye and 500 for other, I went to one clinic and they said i am not eligible for LASIK. Now my question is am I eligible for PRK as i read PRK is ideal for people with thin corneas, or ICL is only one that can be done for me?, Or if possible can i get ICL for one eye and PRK for one eye?

Is PRK the Best Solution for Me?

+1

ICL is the best option for you.  It is best to always leave at least 400 microns of cornea behind when doing PRK. This is simply not possible in your case.

San Diego Ophthalmologist

PRK vs ICL

+1

For your prescription and corneal thickness I would advise ICL. You are not a PRK candidate in the right eye and you are pushing the boundaries in the left eye. You are well within the parameters for ICL. Generally it is better not to push the envelope. It is also preferable to have the same procedure on each eye where possible.

Ilan Cohen, MD
New York Ophthalmologist