Am I Eligible for a Breast Reduction? I Am 16, 5'2, Weigh 130lbs and I Wear a 36DD

I've been this size for a year now. My breasts are really heavy and sag. I constantly have back and shoulder pains and the skin under them is always red, irritated and sometimes peels off.

Breast reduction at 16?

+2

You may very well be a candidate for breast reduction, but you need to have a consultation. Best to get permission from your parents. Good luck.

Breast Reduction at 16?

+2

I'm sorry to hear about the physical and probable psychosocial problems your disproportionately large breasts are causing you. 
It is probable that you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for your frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

Although it may be slightly too early to undergo this procedure, it is not too early to do your homework and learn as much as possible  about  breast reduction surgery and the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Hopefully you have the support of your parents as you do your homework.

Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications associated with breast reduction surgery. Make sure you also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
 Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.
When the time is right,  seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

16 year old breast reduction

+2

You are a bit young for a breast reduction and need to understand the consequences of this surgery like the permanent scars.  You should bring a parent to a consultation with a plastic surgeon who does beautiful reduction surgery and learn all about it.  As far as whether this is insurable, only that doctor can tell you.  Many of the best plastic surgoens don't take insurance anymore so you might need to consider this for the best result.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

36 DD and 16 years old and Breast Reduction

+1

Your symptoms and your breast size indicate that you probably are a good candidate for breast reduction.  You will need parental consent as well.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

16 year old breast reduction candidate

+1

Hello 'JMedrano', thanks for your question.  It sounds like you are suffering from a condition known as juvenile macromastia, which is symptomatic breast hypertrophy.  Although the exact mechanism has not been fully elucidated, this condition can be hereditary or due to hypersensitivity of the breast tissues to hormonal influences, especially prolactin, estrogen, and progesterone surges during puberty and beyond.  Based on your symptoms, it sounds like you would be a good candidate for a breast reduction surgery.  The only caveats to consider due to your young age are that you will need an adult guardian to co-sign the consent with you, and there is a risk of further breast tissue growth after surgery as you mature and undergo pregnancy in the future, in which case rarely some women have the procedure done a second time.  Most insurances do cover this procedure as long as preoperative approval is obtained, which usually includes photos, documentation of symptoms, and a removal of at least a certain amount of breast tissue, which is usually 500g, but varies with the insurance company.  If your breast hypertrophy bothers you significantly, I would recommend having a thorough consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can go through the options with you and answer all of your questions in more detail.  Good luck! -Dr.92660

Parviz Goshtasby, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon