What Makes You an Eligible Candidate for Breast Aug?

I do not like the size or shape or look of my current breast. What are my options considering my case? ive been to a few doctors 2 of which recomened a lift and implants? wondering what my results might look like,, no one has boobs like mine and im getting restless about to give up. I thought i would have a chance to make them beautiful but im getting my hopes up i never knew how complex this procedure would be till i started researching, Advice? i thought implants would help but im losing hope.

What makes you an eligible candidate for a breast augmentation?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Breast augmentation is a procedure often sought by women to increase size, add upper pole fullness and projection along with improve shape and symmetry of her breasts. Women who have the breast augmentation done report increased self-confidence, self-esteem, and more comfortable with her body. In fact, it has been the most popular procedure in plastic surgery in the US for the past few years.

Things to to consider during your consultation, which your surgeon will discuss with you, include implant type (saline vs silicone), shape/texturing of implant (round vs shaped/textured vs non-textured), implant position (sub pectoral, subglandular, or subfascial), incision (inframammary fold, periareolar, axillary, or TUBA), and size of implant. Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory. I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width. In general, implant size does not correlate with cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size or implant size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance. Your breast width is the most important measurement.

Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Size, shape and appearance for breast augmentation

+1

The goal of plastic surgery is to make beautiful breasts.  You state that you do not like your size, shape or look of your breasts.  Implants easily correct size.  It is more difficult to correct position, shape and appearance.  That is why new lifting procedures have been developed.  The goal is to lift the breasts high on the chest wall, producing a hemispherical shape with the nipple centered.  This is performed without a lollipop or boat anchor scar.  I recommedn you look into the new techniques that avoid vertical scarring and are done through the peri-areola incision including the implantation.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for a breast enhancement

+1

Any woman who is unhappy about her breasts is a candidate for breast surgery.  The correct procedure or procedures will depend on the problems that the patient sees and what she wants to correct.

A breast augmentation is typically done to add volume that is lost naturally with age and/or pregnancy and breast feeding or volume that was never naturally present.

A breastlift is performed to address drooping of the breast.  Sometimes this procedure is combined with a breast augmentation.

A breast reduction is done when the breasts are too large.  This procedure usually is combined with a lift.

You should discuss the issues that concern you with a board certified plastic surgeon who should be able to discuss the options to treat the issues that concern you.

Thank you for your question and best of luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1

Breast augmentation is a very personal decision.  You shoudl talk with a surgeon and find out what yoru options are and what he/she thinks would be best for you.  Good luck.

Being a good candidate for breast augmentation

+1

As you know, every woman has different breast size and shape.  All women also have some degree of asymmetry between the left and the right breast.  Breast augmentation is meant to give you a fuller, larger breasts.  If you have saggy (ptotic) breasts, you will need breast lift as well.  The goal of breast augmentation with lift is to give you fuller, perkier, better shaped breasts.  However, every surgery has small risks such as bleeding, infection, scar, and pain.  In addition, it is important to have a realistic expectation.  Please consult with board-certificed plastic surgeon and ask her/him whether your expectation can be met.  Also, review her/his work (pre and post op photos) and see whether you like your plastic surgeon's work.  In addition, you have to feel comfortable with your decision as well as your plastic surgeon.

Sugene Kim, MD

Implants fill, but incisions are needed to reshape breasts.

+1

You already seem to understand that implants alone will not "lift" breasts, although some borderline cases of breast droop or sag can achieve good aesthetic results. Without photos or examination it is impossible for any of us here to give meaningful advice, but it does sound as if you are getting advice that will allow both enlarging and reshaping your breasts. I understand that you were hoping simply augmenting your breasts could achieve the results of your dreams (and the lower cost of implants alone). Sometimes that is just not possible, but the good news is that most anatomic situations can be successfully improved upon by experienced assessment, knowledgeable surgical planning, and skillful surgical technique.

See enough ABPS-certified plastic surgeons until you get advice that makes sense, and comfort with the experience and training of your desired choice. For several examples of my patients with certain types of natural and surgical asymmetries that were successfully overcome, click on the link below. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Advice for getting breast implants

+1

advice for getting breast implants:

without photos, it is difficutl to advise

nipples below the fold usually require implants

large areolas or a snoopy breast usually require a lift of sorts

Breast Augmentation Options......

+1

In answer to your question....What makes someone a good candidate for Breast Augmentation?  In my opinion it's a combination of having enough tissue thickness to cover the implants, having pliable skin, and a well positioned nipple in relation to the inframammary fold.  If your nipple is a little low compared to your inframammary fold, then you probably need some form of lift.  How low your nipple is plays a big part in determining what type of lift and therefore where the scars will be placed. 
Unfortunately, without seeing you or your photos, there is no way I can answer your question as to what are your options.  It's really not that complicated.  You might get different opinions from different surgeons as we often do things differently.  Some people might also accept some drooping in trade for not having as many scars.  Others want the best shape possible and don't care about the scars.  Definitely talk thoroughly with the surgeons you are considering about what your goals are and what they are proposing.
Good Luck
Dr M

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

What makes me eligible for breast augmentation?

+1

RELAX, you've done all the right things.  You're not happy, you've sought professional opinions, and it sounds like both opinions concur.  It is NEVER possible to be certain of exactly what your results will look like, but you can get a pretty good idea in the following way:  Go to the website of the plastic surgeon(s) you are considering.  Look at some BEFORE photos of patients who have had breast augmentation and lift.  Study the before pictures well until you find one or more who appear like you.  The before pictures are VERY IMPORTANT, and show you exactly where patient and surgeon began their journey together.  Imagine that patient you are seeing in the before photo felt as desperate for improvement as you.  They took time out of their lives for the procedure and recovery, accepted involved risks, and participated actively enough in the recovery process to heal, and even return for AFTER photos.  How does their after photo look?  Did they achieve a result you think you would be pleased with, considering their starting point?

It's not really that complex.  Bring your questions to the surgeon you select, and become educated about the process, as you are now doing on RealSelf, and by repeat consultations, and planning.  Of course nobody has breasts exactly like yours, and no two human beings (even identical twins) are exactly alike.  Chances are however, if your surgeon believes you are a good candidate and that he or she can achieve for you a nice result, and you like the results he or she has achieved for others, that you will be just fine.

Steve Laverson, MD

Good candidate for Breast Surgery

+1

You need to choose a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (not cosmetic surgery) and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  From here, you know you are selecting from qualified surgeons.  You need to meet with the surgeon, see many examples of their work and talk to patients about their experience with the surgeon and the staff.  If there is a way to speak to and meet patients who have undergone a similar procedure, that is usually very useful.

Clear communication with your plastic surgeon is important in achieving the desired goals of the patient.  I like to communicate with patients with “goal” pictures.  During surgery, I use temporary sizers to determine the size/profile that will give the patient the look she is looking for. Trying to predict the size of the implant preoperatively is not ideal.  I think it is too much responsibility for the patient to choose the size of the implant.  Ideally, the surgeon would make that determination once he/she is in the operating room with sizers in and examining the patient in the upright and supine position.  There are many variables that come into play when choosing the correct implant size (how much breast tissue the patient currently has, the shape of the chest wall (concave vs. convex), etc..

If the areola are lower than the infra-mammary fold, a breast lift may be indicated.  Go online and look at before and after photos.  There are LOTS of them out there for you to review and see what you like.