Am I an Eligible Candidate for Eyelid Surgery?

I am only 21 years old. I have always had eye bags and droopy eyelids. When I was 17 I noticed the bags had started filling with fat. I do not have allergies or any thyroid problems. My mother has huge puffy bags under her eyes and her upper eyelids are extremely droopy. I am certain that it is hereditary. People constantly say how tired I look and I often feel like my eyes are heavy, sore and sometimes hard to open. I just want to look my age and look rested. Please help!

Eyelid Surgery

+1

You sound like an ideal candidate for eyelid surgery.  See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area and determine if they are right for you.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Keep it safe and simple, consider hyaluronic acid as filler first!

+1

Your situation is very common in my practice, that of an oculoplastic surgeon. This is due to a congenital flat malar eminence, "that means you were born with flat cheeks that runs in your family"! Hyaluronic acid fillers, such as Juvederm or Restylane, can easily correct this problem. This procedure is great because it is performed in the office with topical anesthetic, takes 10-15 minutes, and works immediately. What makes this procedure the best is that it can easily be reversed with hyaluronidase, an enzyme that breaks down hyaluronidase very quickly. The affects of this procedure last several years and can be repeated.

John H. Hunts MD, PhD
Eugene Oculoplastic Surgeon

Appropriate Candidate for Blepharoplasty

+1

There is nothing wrong with having a blepharoplasty at 18, 19 , 20 years old so long as there is a real need and real pathology (bags not allergy) present. You may consider a trans-conjuntival blepharoplasty if the problem is bags and very little extra skin. This avoids the external incision. 

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Improving bags under eyes

+1

Given your age and photo I suspect that improving the volume loss of your lower eyelid/cheek area would help with the problems you describe. It's quite common to have congenital underprojection of the bone in the area which allows the underlying orbital fat to be seen.

In my practice facial fat grafting or skin filler (e.g. restylane) injection can be done to improve the appearance of the area without performing any eyelid surgery at all.

I would suggest consulting with a surgeon who performs blepharoplasty and fat grafting to see what options you have.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Blepharoplasty and Age.

+1

Blepharoplasty can be performed at any age as long as the indications for such are present. By looking at your picture and by your family history I would say that you are a good candidate. The procedure is done generally under IV sedation (twilight sedation) and you can go home right after. The downtime is about 5 days. The lower eyelid Blepharoplasty is done with an incision on the inside of the lid (trans-conjunctival). If skin needs to be removed from the lower eyelids, I usually performed a skin pinch with an incision right under the eyelashes. For the upper eyelids a standard Blepharoplasty is performed with incision inside the crease. 

Altogether, Blepharoplasty is an easy procedure and you will be very happy with the results. 

Henri P. Gaboriau, MD

Eyelid surgery for puffy lower eyelids

+1

Although you are young, given your photos and family history of puffy lower eyelids, I believe you would be a good candidate for a lower eyelid blepharoplasty.  Depending on whether or not you have an excess amount of lower eyelid skin, the procedure could be done via an incision inside the eyelid (transconjunctival) or in the skin just below the eyelashes.  This procedure could be performed under local anesthesia with IV sedation and would take about 45 minutes.  You could also consider fillers such as Restylane in the tear trough area to heelp mask the puffiness. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon